Thread: Scanner Speed

Default Scanner Speed

I have a question about scanner speed. As I understand it, scanner speed is commonly rated as the maximum number of points per second that a scanner can successfully track the standard ILDA test pattern at a specific scan angle without significant distortion when properly tuned. Feel free to correct me!

As an electronics guy, I'm used to more generic measures like Rise Time; the amount of time it takes for a device to span from 10-90% of its overall range.

What is the typical rise time for a middle of the road 30K scanner? Does 30K (or any other speed) translate to a specific number of degrees (or percent of total span) per millisecond?

Dean

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

What is the typical rise time for a middle of the road 30K scanner? Does 30K (or any other speed) translate to a specific number of degrees (or percent of total span) per millisecond?

END QUOTE

What the ILDA TP does is get rid of issues caused by the fact that you need both small and large jump measurements. You also have to factor in the history of the last jump and how it influences the galvo. Amp tuning and mirror size also cause issues, so the theoretical data sheet value has little to do with the actual application, hence the 3dB response test in the Ilda TP.

Yes, the data sheets have a small angle jump time for a galvo with no mirror mounted or with their mirror mounted.

I'll scan in the equation of motion for a typical older galvo tomorrow for you, and attach it to this thread.

Here is a data sheet: http://www.camtech.com/products/6200/6210.html

It is only one data point, for a small angle, and no two makers use the same test. You'd need to know the inertia of the "3mm" mirror used in the test.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks for the info, Steve!

Dean

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

have not forgot about u, having scanner driver issues with replacement used laptop, &^%$ HP's forced driver obsolescence scheme is a looser.

Dean[/QUOTE]
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Yeah, computers... I recently pulled an older computer of mine out of the toilet by replacing the power supply. I have a desk drawer full of old hard drives, so I can boot it in several ways. I used it as my primary machine from 03-08; it's like seeing an old friend again.