Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 445nm beam collimation/correction

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    But do you really find it a problem during scanning?
    Have you ever had a customer saying, this beamshow sucks because I had seen "wings" around the red.
    Or these graphic really sucks because everything is red???

I really don't see the problem.

we now have affordable 445nm power with reasonable beam specs and we are nitpicking about something a normal person would never notice in a projector.

Not personally no.. and I agree about these subtleties being nearly impossible to detect when used in a scanner, but others are far more picky. For them it might be worth investing a little time and effort into the pursuit of near-perfection. To me, all you need to do laser shows is a beam.. it doesn't matter if it's square, round, line, zig-zag, spiral or whatever.. just a beam with low(ish) beam diameter and divergence and good modulation response..

Oh, and when adjusting the collimator just slightly out of focus you will get a better beam profile/divergence at distance. just try it.

I updated the first post with some new data (Power chart, pics. comments).

cheers!

Frank

My plan is to knife edge 2 or 3 445nm diodes and use the O-Like lens and then to put a 3mm pinhole as close to the scanners as possible. Wouldn't that just give me a nice round 3mm beam into the scanners?

I really don't care how much power I lose, I just want a nice clean beam going into the scanners.

Gene

Oh, and when adjusting the collimator just slightly out of focus you will get a better beam profile/divergence at distance. just try it.

I do believe this might supply a clue to where the trash is coming from !

How much is "slightly" ? and how much power do you lose as a result ? (approx. naturally)

I don't really trust the edges of the diode much but I do like more power.

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 10-25-2010 at 07:05. Reason: power loss ?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredy1 View Post
    My plan is to knife edge 2 or 3 445nm diodes and use the O-Like lens and then to put a 3mm pinhole as close to the scanners as possible. Wouldn't that just give me a nice round 3mm beam into the scanners?

I really don't care how much power I lose, I just want a nice clean beam going into the scanners.

Gene
    I tried it, without doing Fourier transform optics on it, ie 2 lens, special pinhole between the lenses, loose one hell of a lot of power, the pinhole does not work well. Even with a seriously "Phatt" adjustable pinhole that needs Pdiddy's credit card to buy, , I managed to score some serious diffraction right around where the "cleanup" starts. Ie you can only clean up at one distance in space, and then your not scoring well.

A rought explanation is to think of the bad rays coming from the middle of the beam, and only escaping at a beam waist that somehow exists in the far field. Its not your normal "Gaussian" beam by a long ways, its a overlay of a whole bunch of them in parallel or some other nause. (Greatly oversimplified explanation)

Dr Lava's lenses work well, IMHO. I have not yet seen Badger's prisms.

Try running the diode at far less current, but if you wanted a single line 488 aircooled you would have bought one, right?

Steve

Default collimating the blue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3323.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	22384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3322.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	22383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3321.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	22382Hi all,

i will build a blue 445nm 1W soon,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3320.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.41 MB 
ID:	22381 i will use the McCarrot lens/collimator/fitting for 11mm block and prisms at the end, here is a picture of the block, got it from the NL LEM Ilpendam 2010, i guess McCarrot uses the same for his setup and i can confirm that it gives a very good beamshow, you can also judge by the photo's and video's taken at the LEM which are posted on the FTP server.
    As soon as i have completed the blue i will share my findings.

Laser Warning

I just want to comment to the photo's michel Rietveld posted.

Those blocks are universal blocks, you can use them to combine 1, 2 or 3 blue diodes. In front there is a place to clamp the prismpair from the groupbuy (no need for glueing the prisms )

Or you can use them to combine 3 red diodes.
    For red you can use 2 methods:
    1 knive edge 2 vertical red and and combine a horizontal red with a PBS for the perfect beam (2,5mmx2,5mmx0,8mrad)

or you can knive edge 3 beams so you can combine another block so you can use 6 diodes or even 12 diodes.

And the best thing it is cheap!

The beam on the right with the good divergence is from this modules

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red small 2.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	22390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red smalll.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	22391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1370436.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	22392

And the best thing it is cheap!

How cheap? I want one!

We are thinking of a price of 60-65 euro/block (ex vat) soon available trough my webshop.

We are thinking of offering sets as you also need a minimount and collimators with this setup.

I have attached a better picture, please note the price is only for the metal work.
    The prism, collimater and mirrormounts are not included in this price.

size is 70x40mm and with a TEC fitted the beam hight will be 29mm

Last edited by mccarrot; 12-18-2010 at 09:05.