Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Nerd Bar Set?... Lab Glassware?

You're definitely missing a measuring cylinder. It's important for good reproducibility!

Erlenmeyer flasks are well suited for mixing liquids since you get much less splashing. I sometimes use them to mix solvents in the lab.

Something else to look at is the separatory funnel. They are usually a bit more expensive than the glassware that you have bought so far though.

Scientists are logical and precise...so I guess measuring would be necessary. damn.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    You're definitely missing a measuring cylinder. It's important for good reproducibility!

Erlenmeyer flasks are well suited for mixing liquids since you get much less splashing. I sometimes use them to mix solvents in the lab.

Something else to look at is the separatory funnel. They are usually a bit more expensive than the glassware that you have bought so far though.
    ya I got a 1L Erlenmeyer with a rubber stopper...

and a set of 12" stirring rods from the same place I got the 6" rods...

I am also thinking of getting this distillation kit

but I am asking the seller if they can replace the condenser with a Graham (spiral) condenser they also carry... to possibly start making some alcohol... I have been reading up on making some of my favorite alcohols and they all seem pretty scary/dangerous... supposedly if you f00k up making vodka you can go blind

There's not a lot of temperature difference when distilling methyl and ethyl alcohol, you'll need to be pretty careful

The picture looks suitably impressive, would look good behind the bar
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

ya scary, going to need to read up on this stuff more before actually risking ingesting anything I make lol

seller said ok to replacing the condenser with a graham one for $25 more, seems fair

this is the graham:

getting the kit from these guys:

http://unitedglasstech.com/distillingKIT12.htm

thinking an alcohol hydrometer would be a good idea too

You don't need the rubber stopper really... just swirl the flask and you'll get good mixing without splashing. Works great as long as you don't fill it much more than halfway.

That's a pretty serious distillation setup with fractionating column and liebig condenser. You'll get very pure ethanol if you use that correctly. I usually only use a liebig condenser and vacuum when I distill chemicals (not vodka). Spiral coolers are not always suitable for small scale distillation.

You don't have to worry about going blind though. Only ethanol and higher alcohols are produced during fermentation. Methanol (which is what you don't want) is only present in very small amounts.

yes was thinking of getting some graduated cylinders... not sure yet...

as far as the separatory funnel what would I use them for? I was thinking maybe for common stuff like cranberry juice or something but was thinking maybe you had a better idea?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post

this is the graham:

..doesn't anybody else see the *obvious*, here??? ULTRA-CHILLED BEERQUILA SHOTGUN!!!! ...and I never even went to college!!!

Very cool idea, Fle... ...remind me to bring over some Patrón next time I'm down in the FLA... or, actually, one of my 'recent faves' is Grape Vodka + RedBull...
    ii's reeealy yummy... *hik*

Oh, ps - another 'classic' would be the 'volumetric flask' (one in the center, below....) for - naturally - storage... ...I mean, it's certainly more 'consistent' than serving out of labware, but storing in store-bought bottles... *snore* ..and, for 'service, with a twist' ...get a pipette or burette... intriguing-way to 'inject' a shot into someones 'erlenmeyer full of mixer'...

peas...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 09-27-2010 at 11:22. Reason: ps
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post

..doesn't anybody else see the *obvious*, here??? ULTRA-CHILLED BEERQUILA SHOTGUN!!!! ...and I never even went to college!!!

Very cool, idea Fle... ...remind me to bring over some Patrón next time I'm down in the FLA... or, actually, one of my 'recent faves' is Grape Vodka + RedBull...
    ii's reeealy yummy... *hik*

peas...
    j
    hehe, run some super cooled liquid through there and flash cool beer on its way though lol

I love vodka (grey goose) + redbull... but instead of redbull I use this stuff

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00854887000P

it tastes JUST like redbull and has no HFCS or Aspartame... and its significantly cheaper than redbull

mix it with some CO2 water and your good to go

Spiral coolers are not always suitable for small scale distillation.
    you think it will be an issue in this setup?

the flask sizes are 2L for the one on the left 1L for the one on the right