Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LD2000 Woes

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default LD2000 Woes

I know this likely doesn't belong in this thread but, this thread seems to get the most views. I understand that Pangolin's LD2000 is the world class de facto standard for laser shows and, that there are thousands of users out there. So why is it I'm having such a damn hard time finding shows to play on it. I've downloaded the few on the ftp site here and the few that are on Pangolins website (there are some duplicates which reduces the number even more.) Even the few sites I've found that have them for sale seem to have more available on ADAT and nobody seems to want to list an actual price. I'm willing to pay for some.

I'm not a programmer... or an artist... and can't seem to grasp the program enough to create anything yet. It's frustrating. And, many of the shows have been sync'd with obscure music that's tough to find - remixes and bastardized versions by some DJ in the Netherlands or something. Nothing current that would be recognized by the typical wedding crowd or Sweet 16 party. Black Eyes Peas anyone??? Lady Gaga??

It's rather discouraging. If it wasn't for Allthatwhichis's masterful Battle Without Honor and Humanity, I'd consider selling the damn thing to Flecom and trying Quickshow instead and make the stuff up as I go along. Even then I'm afraid I'd run out of frames after a couple hours. Am I missing something here? Maybe I'm ranting prematurely. Help! Suggestions! Advice! Thank you in advance! Maybe (shudder) sound active LED lights really are the answer....

lol damn dude frustrated much?

if someone told you the QM came with a giant playlist of stuff, well, they lied... it DOES come with a lot of shows and frames, but except for Money/Us & Them most of them are just single songs... a mix of graphics and beam shows, and they wont come with music due to licensing issues

your going to find that most full length shows are distributed on ADAT for a few reasons, mostly the portability (its just a tape) and most planetarium setups still have ADAT machines kicking around for playback....

security, even though Pangolin lets you lock down shows to QM serial numbers once its on an ADAT tape its pretty much there forever, reimporting ADAT tapes into an editor like Pangolin is frustrating and not generally worth it...

If you do find content available for the Pangolin (or even ADAT) its generally going to be very very expensive, a normal 45min~1hr show will run about as much as your QM cost you if not more... reason being most of the people buying them are making big bucks off of it... our planetarium brings in ~$2k in ticket sales for each show we sell out... and we generally sell out all 4 shows every first friday of the month when we run shows... so we run a show once and already made our money back...

and finally, and a big one is simply there are not a whole lot of people still making/selling content unfortunately... especially full length shows... I have had to learn to be creative to make shows for our planetarium because for a lot of more recent groups the shows simply do not exist... and trust me making a 50~ minute graphics show is an adventure of blood sweat and a lot of tears...

QM cards are awesome and incredibly powerful when used to create shows... unfortunately for JUST playback the FB3 is quickly catching up (a lot of people seem to be making content for it) and ADAT will probably always be king because of the large library of works already out there both professional and semi-professional (in house planetarium shows for example)...

the whole QM2000/LD2000 as a playback only device its become kind of overkill with the performance of the FB3 and the low cost of sound card based dacs

and I have a feeling from what I have seen with QS2 the QM setups are going to become even more obscure, relegated to the really hardcore show makers/live show guys...

not that in any way I regret my QM, I am trying to become one of those hardcore show creators/live show guys, but its a steep learning curve

call mike dunn at http://www.firstlight-laser.com/library.html

he has a lot of stuff that is not listed i can tell you for a fact that he has katy perry California girls and lady gaga Bad Romance as he made them for me last week

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    call mike dunn at http://www.firstlight-laser.com/library.html

he has a lot of stuff that is not listed i can tell you for a fact that he has katy perry California girls and lady gaga Bad Romance as he made them for me last week
    last I heard the dunn shows are not cheap

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Wink

I believe the Pangolinshows site was set up to address this very issue.
    Currently there are 30 shows on there and the hope is that people will upload their own home made shows thereby increasing the number available to all.
    Creating your own show isn't easy (especially at first) but it is possible.
    If I can do it then anyone can!

I have over 130 shows for the LD2000 collected over the last few years so building a collection is certainly "doable" for the ordinary guy.

I'd suggest gathering together a load of abstracts (from the tons supplied with the card) and selecting a short piece of music as your first project.
    That'll hopefully inspire you onto greater things.

You don't need to be an artist to create your own shows.
    All the building blocks are there.
    You just need the time and patience to assemble them (on the timeline) to create something unique.

Give it a go!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thanks all. Yeah, I was on a bit of a rant yesterday. Time seems to be my most precious resource anymore and it's been frustrating that I haven't given myself a chance to work with the software yet. I'm already at work an average of 75 hours per week and when I try to find time to set everything up in the ballroom and start to play a little, the phone rings or, someones banging on the front door of the building or something.

I know Dunn's shows aren't cheap, nor would I expect them to be. I realize it takes many hours and that people doing it for a living aren't going to readily just put them out there for free. I just know that with hobbyists, we tend to be a "hey... check this out, I finished it last night," kinda crowd and may tend to upload stuff more readily.

Speaking of work..... gotta run!

Lightbulb

I feel some of yer pain, but Pango has a ton more content with it than the other software packages I have seen.

Thank you for the compliment; have you looked at any of my other shows? I know Battle is good, but so are some of the other ones..?

Hopfullly when the new Pangolin Show site is up a lot more content will be available. I have 2 or 3 shows I am working on but have been working a lot myself. Belive me, I would love to find a way to bring home enough money from show making to do it full time; I'd give up my day job yesterday.
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 09-29-2010 at 09:34.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post

I'd consider selling the damn thing to Flecom and trying Quickshow instead and make the stuff up as I go along.
    Hopefully by the end of the year, our QM2000's will run under QS. This was mentioned at SELEM all we will need to do is download the software from pango.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I'm not a programmer... or an artist... and can't seem to grasp the program enough to create anything yet. It's frustrating. And, many of the shows have been sync'd with obscure music that's tough to find - remixes and bastardized versions by some DJ in the Netherlands or something. Nothing current that would be recognized by the typical wedding crowd or Sweet 16 party. Black Eyes Peas anyone??? Lady Gaga??
    I have collected about 190 shows in the last few years, including Lady Gaga pokerface

So i just think you are not looking good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post

Thank you for the compliment; have you looked at any of my other shows? I know Battle is good, but so are some of the other ones..?
    Didn't you also made Standing in motion?

It's my favourite out of the 190 shows