Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chinese projector Modifications

Talking Chinese projector Modifications

Greetings my fellow Photon addicts I am new to the forum,
    I just got back into laser shows recently. In a past life I had a laser show company and sold my share out to my partner some years back. Got married had a kid ect... about a year ago I got the bug to step back into again pretty much for personal enjoyment, and started to research what was happening in the industry. When I started to see the prices of laser diodes and scanners come down (China) and the fact that you could have a a small solid state laser no water 3phase Power noisy air cooling ect... I decided to look into building a small graphics projector for my own enjoyment (I already know there is no money in laser shows from my past life) I saw a projector on ebay for just under $300 bucks it was RGY had 12k scanners in it (not great but a start) 100 mw red and 60 mw green DMX and an ILDA connector so I asked other people that had purchased them if they were happy there was not one compliant they had the units from China in 3 days or less. So with a little
    apprehension I ordered one. I have to say its not bad for that money. Now the way they aligned the two lasers was a joke using an aluminum angle bracket with a dichroic filter glued to it if you remove the lasers from the plate you will be there all day realigning it.
    I am currently upgrading the projector first I purchased a flex mod and a blue ray diode and have installed it in the projector ( I will have before and after pics to post soon) next I will remove the crappy angle bracket with the filter. I have to Thorlabs KM05 kinematic filter mounts that I made custom brackets out of stock aluminum angle brackets to replace it and add the blue reflect dichro (really purple) and I will have an RGP projector for not a lot of money. I just purchased Dr.Lavas LDS RYIA package which I think is a fantastic price for what you get and since I am doing this mostly for fun (I do work part time at a planetarium they have a projector there and want me to program shows) I cant shell out the kind of money that would get me back in the Pangolin game, Quick show is too limited for me. I will be posting before and after Pictures as the project progresses.
    As soon as I recover from the cost of the LDS RYIA purchase (what a money pit this is the purchase almost caused a divorce) I will be upgrading the scanners to 30k that is a must! (even if my wife kicks me out the door) the scanners that came with the projector will not go to waste I plan on putting them in a 4 Position Green only beam projector as a future project.

Cheers
    Michael

"If you want to make money get a tow truck don't go into lasers"
    L Michael Roberts Laser FX (not exactly how it said it but a very good point none the less)

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Its something like:

"If you want to make money get a Fu(%ing tow truck, don't go into Fu(%ing lasers"

Needs spoken in a quasi English Sud Affrikans accent to have the right effect, though..

Hello, Mike, long time no see...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Default Long time no see

Hi Steve how is it going been a long time does anyone hear from Michael Roberts any more I heard he moved out of Toronto and is doing R&D for some engineer company. Good to see there is someone I know on this blog. AJ has been out on tour with Rush and also did the Star Wars tour I need to catch up with him we still keep in touch.

Michael

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Michael is in Goderich, Ontario, selling RF Induction lighting.

I'm still in Akron,

Welcome to PL.

Karl is here, and Daystar Jon is here, Pat is here, and a few others, you are not alone.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hey Mike, I'm not sure if you're in Toronto too, but if so, we might have met. I've known LMR since the early 90's but haven't seen him in a few years.

I met both Steve & Karl on a laser road-trip about 10 years ago, then DSL-Jon some years later when I got rid of my dual I-90s. Glad you're here, I'm new here myself, and enjoying it much.

BTW, if you're putting a Blueray mod in, why not just go with a 445nm diode if you've got the Flexmod, etc. I personally found 405nm to be fine when it came to combining with 650 & 532 for RGBV output, but it was pretty crappy for visibility on it's own (especially now that it's illegal to smoke in nightclubs in Canada, so you always have to have a hazer or something).

Regarding your galvo upgrade, I haven't tried them myself, but Spacelas recently started selling their scanners on ebay for pretty cheap, and from what I hear, people are pretty happy for the $ spent.

until soon

-David

Default Blu Ray Mod L Michael

HI David and Steve

Thanks for the reply,I am in New Jersey used to go up to Toronto and visit L Michael quite often he invited me for Canadian Thanksgiving one year that was cool. We want to go up to Niagara falls around the Holidays to see the fireworks and light show over the falls. I don't think they do Lasers which is disappointing but still seems like a cool thing to do. Yes I agree with you about the 445 and will be doing that as soon as I get the scanners in there saw real good deal on O laser on the 445 diodes but the Scanners are more important since I really like graphics Love beams as well but want to do some graphics for now I think the 12ks will give me spaghetti when I start programing 3d stuff I currently have Rick Gebhardts Alpha lite big mistake he is out of business and I am stuck with the goods cant wait to get the LDS and RYIA should be here tomorrow. I was considering turning the gain way down to see what I get but thats very temporary and wishful thinking. AI I see a lot of people on the blog are concerned about safety and these Chinese projectors yes they are dangerous if you don't modify them, had variances before wrote manuals will do it again and I have every intention of making this Projector CDRH certified. When you have a 6 year old around the house safety is number one on the list of priorities. From what I have seen on PS so far the CDRH has become quite the PITA lately.That FAA incident some years back really screwed up out door beam shows and took quite a bit of financial opportunity away from the Laser show industry causing a lot of shops to close their doors in the US. Its a brave new world out there guys. Keep on Beamin

Cheers
    Michael

Get a room fun-boys. Just kidding welcome to PL Michael anyone willing to risk divorce for lasers is alright in my book.
    A ton of things have changed. I was away for three+ years and I come back and everyone but their mothers are making diode based lasers. Great to have you on board.

Default Divorce over lasers

Hi thanks for the welcome
    Well there was no mention of that in the yelling match however I think the neighbors got quite an ear full since the windows were open what I have agreed upon is that I will get a certain amount of money each week and she will get the same amount what we do with it is our business and there will be no criticism from either party anything to keep the peace. We have been married since 1999 so I guess we are stuck with each other. She does not like Lasers thinks you can do the same thing with light bright "its just lines" she does not like 3d animation movies or cartoons so that pretty much sums it up. We have a lot of other interests in common so as long as she leaves me alone about my f*(%ing lasers all is good. Is it just me or do your significant others feel the same way about this stuff? This seems to be pretty much man cave stuff.

Cheers all
    Michael

My wife understands the needs I have as well. My three year old loves them When I light up the RGB she always says we are going to have a laser party.

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    Is it just me or do your significant others feel the same way about this stuff? This seems to be pretty much man cave stuff.
    Hi Michael,

Your not alone, my wife is often found in my study or workshop looking at laser related items, when challenged she says "How much do you think that is worth" and "How about that? does it have a value"

My usual answer is.. "no" and/or "no one would want to buy that!"

Cheers,

Nigel.