Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Socalem 2011

Also, this place is probably not in the greatest area, if that is a concern for anyone. I keep it gangsta, so it's all good with me.
    - instinct

Well guys, I just pulled out my projector and I need more photons. 1.7W of green just doesn't seem bright enough to me. I mean its bright, but it's not "Oh my God" BRIGHT. I guess I'm just used to seeing the 10W RGBs at Disneyland. Could it be that I'm using fog instead of haze?

Quote Originally Posted by redgoat View Post
    Well guys, I just pulled out my projector and I need more photons. 1.7W of green just doesn't seem bright enough to me. I mean its bright, but it's not "Oh my God" BRIGHT. I guess I'm just used to seeing the 10W RGBs at Disneyland. Could it be that I'm using fog instead of haze?

Projector is probably no good, Just mail it to me and I'll pay for shipping to get it off your hands.
    - instinct

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by redgoat View Post
    If 1.7 watts isn't enough, maybe your laser really isn't putting out it's rated power.

1.7 watts with a little fog in the air should look really bright even in a fairly large club. (Say, 1000 patrons or so.) Fog actually makes the beam more visible than haze does, so long as it's not so think that it completely blocks the beam.

Are there a lot of ambient lights on in the venue? That will reduce the apparent brightness.

Worst case, if you need more power, you could add some 445 nm blue in there for just a little bit of money, and that would give you a lot of extra punch. (Figure at least another watt; more if you want to cool it with a TEC to pump the current up, or you could install a pair of diodes with a PBS and double your power...)

Adam

Question

Hey Kats -

Quote Originally Posted by ArcDevilz View Post
    That looks like a great space. Let me finish talking to Jon...about using the existing Laserium space.
    Couple things to consider (pros/cons) about our space:

Pros:
    - Free. Though, I prolly should think about a *small* donation from each to go towards Power. Building, itself, is Free.

- Loudness and Fogginess are limitless. The place is across the street from the Van Nuys airport, so until we are louder than the LeerJets and Bells, no worries...

- Hours: 6am till 6am and the Management is totally awesome to work with...

- Fairly decent 'lobby' space, (loading bay) with a nice big overhead door, for easy I/O, no stairs, etc...

- We get to play some True Laserium shows, in their full-glory (not like at 'selem' where the Laserium show-portions we played were not even a fraction of what the
    'real' shows are like...)

- There is a 16 Watt Whitelight Sabre there....What more do I need to say?

Cons:
    - Most we can hold in 'Studio B' is about 40 Kats... Got scaffolding, got bounce mirrors, got mirror-balls, rotating diffraction gratings and a host of other killer fx to play with, but space is kinda 'smallish' - fine for tight graphics shows, but not so great for nice, stretched-out aerials and well, you know, beams kinda like to 'go long', too...
    ...So, a 'consideration'...

- Only one bathroom, and we will have to NUKE the rear-office it is in, since the carpet in that rear-office area is... well... REALLY REALLY nasty... I'd explain more, but I want you to keep your breakfast down... So, unless we can make the time to Demo that rear-office, or you Kats are willing to hold yer breath whilst using the facilities...
    that's a fairly big con, IMO... There is, however, a decent fridge and micro...

SO, all in all - our space is a good candidate, but once I can 'come up for air', mid-Nov, Ivan and I can get together and assess / recommend, based on the work it will take to get the place in-shape (for an event)...

Will KIT...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I am neutral as far as venue. The cost to rent the space Instinct posted is not to bad. The space at Laser Images needs some severe elbow grease. It might not be a bad idea. Jon I will call you later this evening and we can talk about our options. January is coming up quick. We should try to nail a date in the next week with venue. I am also going to look for a few more options.

Ivan

Hey I-man -

Quote Originally Posted by ArcDevilz View Post
    Jon I will call you later this evening and we can talk about our options.
    I'm in El Sal till next week, so if you call, make it the 818-line, and not my cel... I'll see ya called (it will likely go to vm, cause I gotta leave for werk in a bit...) and call ya maņana..

cya
    j

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    - We get to play some True Laserium shows, in their full-glory (not like at 'selem' where the Laserium show-portions we played were not even a fraction of what the
    'real' shows are like...)

j

Looks for cash to make it to this, would love to see this!
    leading in trailing technology

I am down to have it in Van Nuys, this is where Laserium was held at prior to Hollywood, correct? I've been there before, does this include the area where they have that Light Dancer? Kind of sucks not having enough beam space.
    - instinct

Cool

Yo, Instinct...

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    I am down to have it in Van Nuys, this is where Laserium was held at prior to Hollywood, correct? I've been there before, does this include the area where they have that Light Dancer? Kind of sucks not having enough beam space.
    Yes, it's the 'old Laser Images' space (...we took it over...) No, the area where the 'LD' was is empty, but not very 'accessible', till we knock out a wall / move some pipes, electrical, etc - aint gonna happen by Jan... - Once we do that, we'll have a *much* better space for shows / demos, etc...

Till then, perhaps we could do one / two days at the 'other' space, where aerials and beams can get a chance to 'stretch-out', and then, one day at VNYs, (?) so we can play some of the Laserium shows? (not too keen on dragging that all out gear to another venue... gotta rent a truck, all the hose / feeder, etc... )

Again, Ivan and I will discuss, but I wanted to at least put all the 'pros and cons out in the light', for all to discuss / ponder, etc...

Thanks for the input, will 'KIT'...
    peas..
    j