Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: laser show software

I've seen some BIG shows by top companies.. I just think that they have their place, along with each person in this hobby/profession, each at their own level. Art is in the eye of the beholder, my friend. I once saw a white canvas with black stripes on it sell for over $1mil. And it's considered "high-end" art.

My usage of the term "elite" only applies to anyone for whom the shoe fits. I did not, nor have I ever that I can remember, name a single name. Therefore there is no need to watch who I label. If you feel the term applies to you, that's your call. I'm sure you have your reasons for feeling that way.
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 10-05-2010 at 08:59.

I'm a newbie, and I peruse the forums to learn and absorb everything I can. If i can't comprehend, I look it up. I have gotten books from the library to read, etc. This is the first time I have run into a post that gives the perception of elitism. I have heard it exists, especially those laerists with a "disposable income". I agree with Elektrofreak....it is all about spreading interest in the hobby, pulling in new ideas, and opening it up to the possibility of making it cheaper, more affordable. It does not cheapen or degrade what anyone else does. If the elitists chase off all us newbies because we can't afford a $2000+++ payout for a hobby, then to hell with you then. You've done nothing to promote the hobby.

Mixedgas-who are you to judge how another laserist uses and/or charges for their hobby? It is really none of your business nor does it degrade what you do or the shows you put on. We all have a right do work the hobby as we please and answer to no one.

Personally, I am going to be jumping up and down with excitement the first time I can create a circle, triangle, heart...whatever the hell I come up with.....it will be my art, my creation, and my show.

Period.

^And that kind of enthusiasm is priceless IMO. You will reap the greatest satisfaction when you see the work of your own mind and two hands light up and go!

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchik View Post
    Personally, I am going to be jumping up and down with excitement the first time I can create a circle, triangle, heart...whatever the hell I come up with.....it will be my art, my creation, and my show.
    Absolutely! It will wow you and your friends (and even some strangers). It most likely would not wow 50,000 folks at a major event.

That's the difference in hobbyists and professionals.

Kind of like the guy that installs his own brake pads on the car at his house. He's a hobbyist, learned something, and saved a few bucks. Most likely he did not machine the rotors because he doesn't have a few thousand dollar lathe (projector). He will most likely not put up a sign that says $35 brake jobs (laser show co) -- and if he does, it will cheapen the professional mechanics (laserists). I know. I fix 35 dollar brake jobs every day. Maybe a poor analogy.........

So is there or is there not a WIDE variety of professional services available in any field of work, anywhere? Of course there is. The guys who want to wow 30,000 people have their place, and laserchik here has her place, wowing herself. To me, they are equally important to the future of laser shows. It is NOT the professional's god-given right to try to dictate to everyone else what is good, or what is not.. what is "art" and what is not. Simply because they are "professional" does not place them in a position of authority over the rest of the laser show world. We appreciate what they do and what they have done. Sadly (for those of them who harbor ill-regard toward hobbyists, those who feel that our ingenuity and interest are "spoiling" their precious "art") their secrets are out. Their methods are known. There's no taking it back. I have one thing to say to any professional who would choose to try to control all things relating to shows: Adapt or die. Those are the choices now..
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 10-05-2010 at 13:20.

Nah, I get what you are saying, but if my little show can impress a few, and people are willing to pay for my little show, then that is their decision. All the more wowed they will be when they see a larger, more professional show. All I am saying is that one shouldn't judge how another hobbyist/professional makes their money. It is a free country.

I can only hope to get to the caliber of what I saw at SELEM. But I am a realist, unless I come into an inheritance or win the lottery, I can never go out and buy the hardware that you guys have. That is why it would be cool to be a part of a team where I can do the art/creative side, and they have the equipment....together we can put on a pretty good show......

So-I can not only fix my brakes, and maybe others, but eventually learn to machine the rotors.....but not have someone tell me I can't or won't help me because I don't have the "disposable income" to support it...

Quote Originally Posted by Laserchik View Post
    Nah, I get what you are saying, but if my little show can impress a few, and people are willing to pay for my little show, then that is their decision. All the more wowed they will be when they see a larger, more professional show. All I am saying is that one shouldn't judge how another hobbyist/professional makes their money. It is a free country.
    That's the truth at the core of this issue. I cannot say that those who do illegal shows should be respected, but if anyone who has gone to the effort to obtain the necessary authorization wants to do a show, REGARDLESS of the expense of their equipment or their expertise, they have the right to, and rightfully so. If they can undercut the competition, so be it. More power to them. It's up to the established professionals to remain competitive either through competitive pricing, or by maintaining such a stellar reputation that people will gladly pay more to hire them. All I see when people offer the viewpoints put forth in posts 6, 8 and 10 is a fear of competition. Don't be fearful, be competitive. It'll do you a LOT more good. Also, continue to help people with safety, so that at the end of the day we can all say we did what we could to help keep this a fun and exciting hobby/profession.

@ElektroFreak - EXACTLY. Well put.

If you think it is bad here try posting a question on alt.hvac asking how to repair your air conditioner.

Fortunately for all, there are volumes of texts available on HVAC.. in every possible capacity. I can believe that it can be pretty hostile there, though.. Texts on laser shows are few and far between, however. Thank God for the Interwebz, huh?