Thread: opnext 637nm 170mw diodes

Default opnext 637nm 170mw diodes

Well I took the plunge and got some of the new opnext 637nm 170mw diodes. I can't really see much difference in the wavelenght as expected. I find the diodes is about 20-30% brighter (hard to say by eye)then the 642nm diodes. They could be a dead even match. The difference is not much.

The color mixes well. The size of the beam is the exact same as the 642nm diodes. I'm running the diodes at 300ma. I have no power meter or spectral analysis to offer just my eyes. IF you are starting out go ahead and buy these. You won't be sorry. If you already have 642nm diodes don't upgrade. Wait for your diodes to pop and then replace them with these.

Truely if I could get 1.5w 660nm in a 3mm round beam, I'd pay dearly for it. 800mw of 637nm vs 600mw of 642nm I would not trade up.

so, how much would one expect to pay for one of these?

i've got a bunch of 660s waiting to go into a module but i'm thinking to throw a few 642 or 637 in too, to add to the mix
    "its called character briggs..."

Default diodes

I can't pin down Fransisco in terms of price so just PM him. The range is 120-130E depending on quantitiy it could be less.

Default diodes

OK on second look after aligning everything I have to say they are much brighter. I had to bump my green up by 20-30% to match. Had to bump up blue a bit as well. So there you have it. Eyes lie when it comes to laser. Also my beams for beam shows are much more visible. So retract my post and say go get'em gentlemen and ladies.\

Right now I have 2 642nm and 2 637nm running at 300ma. If I go with 4 637nm diodes I might have to sell my 500mw green and go with something in the 750mw range. Had to increase current to my blue from 800ma to 1A as well.

Might need suntan lotion and shades to watch shows in the living room. I never thought I'd say this but 2W is bright enough for any home.