Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Facebook or Not to Facebook.

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Steve,

Like the others have said, Facebook have privacy settings that allow you to dictate what people can and can't see which goes a small way to ensuring your privacy.

Golden rule I suppose is to not post info you'd prefer to keep private, most of Facebook is cached by Google and other search engines. (Dependant once again on privacy settings)

Recently in a corporate security evaluation I was undergoing they used a statistic along the lines of "87% of recruiters search for you using Social networking sites".

I have nothing to hide, so on my facebook there are pics of me in "altered states" (before I had kids) and all kinds of things that perhaps potential employers would find objectionable.. but my privacy settings prevent this from being public info.. you have to be my "friend" to see me dancing like an idiot in a nightclub.

Bebo / Myspace.. don't bother.

Linkedin - I'd say a very professional social networking site, far removed from Facebook in that it's not designed for you to post photos of your kids, or your 30th birthday etc.

Also what I have found is that your facebook "name" matters, I altered my name on facebook as I used to go by my mothers surname when I was a kid at school, later in life I used my Fathers surname (it's whats on my passport) so I combined the two on facebook to help people who knew me by either name.

Since doing so, It's totally confused Google, so searching for me firstname lastname just brings up various posts on newsgroups and mailing lists and not Fb.

Anyway, it's worth it for keeping in touch with long lost friends, I use it to keep up with friends in New Zealand. (I'm from NZ, but live in Scotland) - heck even my mother has a FB page. (Allthough she has not updated it.. too challenging apparently.)

My two cents!

Cheers,

Nigel.

You could always set up an account under a nick name, one your mates would know, use a non-identifying image for your profile picture and set the privacy settings on max.

The worst that could happen is one of your "friends" posts something unhelpful (which you should be able to remove). At least its harder to connect it to you until you take it down. Someone searching for you by name won't come across this account.

Set up another account in your name and limit who's connected to that, literally close friends and family and possibly professional connections on a privacy-maximised list. Again setting all other privacy settings to the max.

I think Facebook is a bit silly. I have an account and log in maybe a couple times a month but I hardly post anything there. It's mainly a tool for people who know me to find me and for me to find people I know. Nothing more. Other people can use it to talk about what they ate for breakfast if they want. Sometimes, I find it interesting to read what my friends are up to on there.

From the people I know who are on there, it causes nothing but dramas. One person writes something and someone else takes offence even if not meant that way. People also become offended if you don't respond to them quickly or if you seem not to have talked to them in a long time. They become paranoid and think they're being ignored.

I know so many people who have fallen out over facebook (even if only temporarily) its unreal.

Also, you talk about Networking but thats impossible beyond friends of existing friends if you have your profile private as people can't see you!

There have been many many instances of people losing employment because of what they've posted on Facebook or been seen doing on there.

In my view it simply isn't worth it. Steer clear Steve.

The only thing I'd ever consider is a ghost account - different name and details with no photos or friends etc simply so you can look up events / companies that might interest you without any links back to who you really are.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    From the people I know who are on there, it causes nothing but dramas. One person writes something and someone else takes offence even if not meant that way. People also become offended if you don't respond to them quickly or if you seem not to have talked to them in a long time. They become paranoid and think they're being ignored.
    I think you are being over dramatic. I know plenty of people that use it and have never heard anyone complain about such things. It wouldn't be so popular if all it did was cause problems. If you are a mature person I think you can navigate your way through Facebook without any incident at all. If you are an immature high schooler or some loud mouth who has to comment on everything you see posted, maybe not.

Maybe its just us Brits but somone I know is falling out over facebook every few weeks. In fact its nearly resulted in a few fights amongst my friends. I personally couldn't recommend it.

Also, loads of people have lots jobs because of it, mostly stupid things but still fatal to your career. eg Just google "sacked" and "facebook" and this is what you get:

http://search.conduit.com/Results.as...ctid=CT2304157

I run a decent size business in small town tennessee (read: everybody knows everybody elses drama) and my name is on the front door. I'm also not your typical southern Bible belt kind of person. Other peoples perception of "me" can and does effect my business, regardless of the quality of work we do.

I have a facebook page. I don't post anything on facebook that I wouldn't post on the courthouse door for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    sounds like your FB friends are a bunch of 12 year olds? lol

also dont post anything there related to your job and you wont get fired?

I should post pictures of my targets after a day at the shooting range

I am on Facebook and LinkedIn. Both have proven very useful when I was out of work last year. I admit that I am not a Facebook junkie, and hardly ever post anything.....but I occasionally go on and check on my "friends" and see what they are up to.

LinkedIn has also proven to be a very useful networking site. I highly recommend it.

As for all the paranoia around networking sites and "the man" tuning in on your personal conversations, drama, fights, etc.....you have complete control over who sees your information and who you want to "friend". Also, don't post naked, drunken photos of yourself anywhere, and you won't have a problem.

Just be smart about what you post and who you "friend" and it will all be perfectly fine.

"Social networking is to socializing as reality TV is to reality."