Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Facebook or Not to Facebook.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default To Facebook or Not to Facebook.

.... Some of you know that when employed, I work on some sensitive stuff. Not "Classified", but sensitive. To do this sort of thing, you need to be more "Lilly White" then a Teacher, Pastor, or Cop. Parking tickets, any late payments, medical issues, dealing with sick family members, can all be a issue. Getting plastered at any time other then the approved "watering hole" is frowned upon. I took heat at my last employer just for posting on PL. I take even more heat that my best friend (now reformed) has done some things in his youth that I tolerated. Heck, hes now more conservative then I am, since the arrival of his child.

....However, since most people in business use Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, etc. I'm at a huge disadvantage. I just sat at my cousin's dinner table, having not seen her in 5 years. She has more computing power in a handheld then some of the labs I have worked in had in Beowulf arrays. She is a realtor, and even in this economy, business was streaming in to the little box. Mostly twitter and facebook links.

.... So for those of you on PL for whom your "Image" and "Lifestyle" are under scrutiny, how do you manage this? How do you prevent having "StealsLollyPopsFromBabies666" as a "friend" on your page from being a negative influence on your career? I'm tired of loosing business and not making new friends because I have to hide data about myself in the digital age.

.... Those of you who think you have a clue about me from what I post here would be shocked to see the other side of me. I have Nothing to hide, but a recent job app said "Have nothing in your background, family, or friends, that would prevent you from entering areas such as "Hospitals, Schools, State and Local Government, and other areas of the Public Trust" Translation Live like a rich and pious 90 year old widow in a storybook forest, or do not apply.

I badly need to get on Facebook, but fear the long term repercussions. I'm tired of living like a monk in a monastery, and quite honestly this line of work does not pay enough for the restrictions involved.

Suggestions? I understand you may wish to reply in a PM.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-07-2010 at 20:40.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thumbs down

I wouldn't touch that shit with a 100 mile optical pole. I try my best not to even send text messages. The internet is for unsocial people; I don't get the attraction to social networking sites. If you want to talk to me call; if you need to see me come over or I will see you at the next LEM... or gathering of whatever sort. I prefer to keep my memories in electrochemical format, not digital.

As I re-read my post, IF... IF I had a buisness, I might contemplate a facebook page if I knew with 100% certainty that it would greatly improve my cash flow, but it would not be my page with anything about me personaly.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

ya anyway...

I use facebook to keep in touch with friends and family... its really easy to setup "lists" that limit what people can look at... for example, if I put you in my "coworkers" list you actually see LESS information as my friend than if you were not my friend lol

even Melles Griot has a facebook page FYI lol

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Albuqu...1729544?ref=ts

also hate to break it to you but "hiding" data is impossible no matter what you do short of moving into a shed in the middle of nowhere

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=allthatwhichis;166662] I wouldn't touch that shit with a 100 mile optical pole. I try my best not to even send text messages. The internet is for unsocial people; I don't get the attraction to social networking sites. If you want to talk to me call; if you need to see me come over or I will see you at the next LEM... or gathering of whatever sort. I prefer to keep my memories in electrochemical format, not digital.

I'm the first one to agree, but I just spent a year and a half in a medium sized town in the middle of no-where. Even the local chapter of IEEE used social networking. They only had one scheduled meeting a year, the rest was on line, impromptu. It was a real issue trying to make friends there without the social networking software.

Steve

I say "use it" but do it with caution and learn how the privacy settings work before you begin using it full on. You can easily emove potentionally "weird" friends if you want.
    I refused Facebook until may this year but now i'm hooked. I don't work in sensitive/conservative work of course (music studio!) but I think you will be ok!

I feel like we are approaching an age where NOT having an Internet presence is suspicious. Yes it's one more thing to manage, like a car that needs oil changes, it's cheaper and easier work within the system as opposed to resisting. FWIW you can have a FB presence without pouring your intimate life details in it.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post

even Melles Griot has a facebook page FYI lol
    .... Also Pangolin is posting news on their Facebook site.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/PangolinSystems

Steen

I'd do it, Just don't post ANY info you'd rather keep private. That's what I do. I was able to find 8 long-lost friends with my facebook account. http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1076588156

Get Facebook Steve! I barely ever get FBI agents bugging me since joining.

I deleted my MySpace a while back, but I get a lot out of Facebook compared. It has over 500,000 users now. It's amazing who you run into there and they just upgraded their privacy settings again the other day so it's even easier to customize who sees what, as mentioned previously.

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I wouldn't touch that shit with a 100 mile optical pole. If you want to talk to me call; if you need to see me come over or I will see you at the next LEM... or gathering of whatever sort. I prefer to keep my memories in electrochemical format, not digital.
    Sorry, I just can't help but laugh at your comments in the context of a post on a digital medium, being an internet forum in this case.

Me too, I would never share my thoughts on the internet...

But seriously, MySpace, Facebook etc is overrun by people that feel a need to air personal stuff.

One of my daughters ex-boyfriends threatened to kill me last year in a phone call, just after I had lost a court case against him (seeking a restraining order protecting my daughter). I reported his threat to the police, they helped me get a restraining order the next day in court. He denied it all, and then I pulled out a print of my daughters Facebook page where he bragged about coming around with his bikie mates the next day to kill me. Idiot.

Judge: So Mr ****** you deny threatening to kill Mr ******?

Idiot: I did no such thing, Mr **** is a liar and he is out to get me.

Judge: Do you post on FaceBook and is your nick name *****?

Idiot: Yeeeees... <scratches head>

Judge: Then how do you explain this? <FaceBook evidence presented>
    Wham! case closed. I rest my case. Restraining order granted.

You have to laugh.
    This space for rent.