Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IREEDZ, First Projector Build, Questions Galore

Quote Originally Posted by ireedz View Post
    Doc,

My thought here is that I would want to isolate each projector.
    Yet they will more than likely be daisy chained through the ILDA connection, which essentially connects all of them together.

What you are suggesting will work, it just seems unnecessary when they will all be decoupled by their interlock circuits anyway.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Smile

I'm wanting to be able to connect multiple projectors to one estop. All projectors will be connected via Stanwax ILDA interface boards. Each of those boards has a 9 pin connector that handles all interlock wiring.
    Hi Ian;

Sorry for the late reply! Still playing catch-up...

Hmmm... Are you planning to run all projectors off a single controller? That is, they'll all be receiving the same ILDA signal? If so, then you can just daisy-chain the ILDA interlock loop through all projectors and it will work that way, but one projector will have to be the dedicated master; it will supply the power to the interlock circuit. The others would be slaves to that master.
    What I want to do is to have a junction box that all the projectors will connect to. My idea is to have a power supply in this junction box that houses a double pole double throw relay for each projectors interlock circuit. I have a bunch of these relays, so I want to utilize them.
    Er... OK, so you'd have a separate interlock that would connect to this junction box, and when the interlock was triggered for the box, it will kill all projectors connected to it? Something like that? (Not exactly sure how you're trying to wire this...)
    I'm using RIYA Dacs.
    DAC's? Plural? So you've got multiple controllers? If so, then there are a couple ways to do this...

Obviously you could have a kill switch for each projector. Alternately, you could use the master-slave arrangement that I mentioned above, but with multiple controllers that would be messy. The third method would be your idea to have a "junction box" that served as a master kill switch for all projectors.

But you'd still need individual interlocks on each projector for things like case intrusion, ILDA cable detachment, etc... You'd just wire one extra contact in series with each projector's interlock loop and run that contact to your junction box with all the relays. Then your single kill switch would open all contacts, killing all projectors that were hooked to your junction box.

At least, that's assuming I understand your layout correctly. It would be helpful if you could detail how many projectors and controllers you're planning on having, and what circuit(s) you've already designed / built into those projectors...

Also note that the basic plan for your junction box will not cause the projectors to interlock each-other. That is, if one trips on interlock (ILDA cable comes unplugged, for example), the others will stay running. If that's what you want, that's fine, but if you want them all to trip on interlock from even just one unit, you'll need a more complicated circuit.

Adam

The third method would be your idea to have a "junction box" that served as a master kill switch for all projectors.

But you'd still need individual interlocks on each projector for things like case intrusion, ILDA cable detachment, etc... You'd just wire one extra contact in series with each projector's interlock loop and run that contact to your junction box with all the relays. Then your single kill switch would open all contacts, killing all projectors that were hooked to your junction box.

At least, that's assuming I understand your layout correctly. It would be helpful if you could detail how many projectors and controllers you're planning on having, and what circuit(s) you've already designed / built into those projectors...

Also note that the basic plan for your junction box will not cause the projectors to interlock each-other. That is, if one trips on interlock (ILDA cable comes unplugged, for example), the others will stay running. If that's what you want, that's fine, but if you want them all to trip on interlock from even just one unit, you'll need a more complicated circuit.
    Adam,

I think you completely understood what my plans are. I'm short on time right now, but when I have a chance, I will make a schematic of my layout. My thought on this design is to keep all the interlock circuits completely isolated, and keep them as clean as possible. I also wanted the option of connecting projectors with different voltages on each interlock circuit to a single estop.

Thanks, Ian

Smile

I think you completely understood what my plans are.
    Yeah, that's more than a little possible! I blame the percocet!
    I will make a schematic of my layout.
    Cool. That will help a lot. Be sure to include what you want it to do (how you expect it to perform) under such conditions as pressing the E-stop, as well as what should happen when some other interlock condition occurs. We'll get it sorted out though - I promise!

Adam

Time for an update. I am finally getting some time to post and include photos of my current projector builds.
    I ended up with Viasho 2 watt greens and have recently added quads of 445. I went with Stanwax ILDA interface boards and DT-40 Wide scanners. Everything is working together pretty well so far. The 445s have a bigger beam than I like, so I'm going to make some other quads to replace these. Overall, I'm pretty happy and there is a ton of room for additional blue and red.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	1,019.7 KB 
ID:	27494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	27495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	27497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	956.6 KB 
ID:	27496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	27498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0193.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1,008.5 KB 
ID:	27501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0195.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	905.1 KB 
ID:	27499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	721.4 KB 
ID:	27500