Thread: UK & EU laserists: Crowd scanning without scanfail....

Default UK & EU laserists: Crowd scanning without scanfail....

Ok, so something that has intrigued me for some time, especially in light of my own experiences (and somewhat linked to this thread http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...question/page2 )....

For lasersists in the UK/EU (mainly because crowd scanning is likely to be significantly less prevalent in the US and other territories - however feel free to comment!), how many people perform crowd scanning without a suitable scanfail device? (i.e. contrary to the guidelines that any crowd scanning should only be performed with a scanfail device)

Now, I appreciate this may not be something that people will willingly divulge in public, so I ask 'How many are aware of shows/a show being performed without said device?' and also what sort of powers did they estimate being used?

This can be from the perspective that all other safety considerations (MPE calcs, etc) were in place, or that the show was generally ignorant of all safety issues... details please!

remember its only a problem if you get caught...

poor joke sorry but i had to
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Actually, its not much of a joke, more like a reality...

One other question was going to be 'How many have ever had cause to demonstrate their scanfail device in action to a person in authority, and what size was the gig?'

For a long time, HS(g)95 was the standard that tyhe UK crowd ran with, and it recommended that the X and Y scanners be driven from independent DC supplies, and that crowd scanned artwork be designed such that failure of a single scanner would not give rise to a static beam.

IIRC there was no mention of active scan fail (Which is a relatively recent thing).

Given this history I am not at all surprised that active scan fail is I suspect not common over here.

Regards, Dan.