Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side pumping

Default Side pumping

Does anyone have any information about side pumping YAG rods theyd like to share? I am curious about this method of pumping because it apparently eliminates the need of collimating optics. Sams laser FAQ did not have much on side pumping so I came here instead in search of information

Its not that simple....

First off you need a ton of power and a hefty rod and impressive cooling.

Side pumping is usually done with an arc-lamp that is equal in size to the YAG rod itself to facilitate the conversion. then you need bounce mirrors that will reflect most of the produced 1064nM energy back through the cavity for a few passes. Think external cavity.

The beam diameter is roughly the size of the yag rod still diverges, granted its not as much as a bare diode.

some of the tricks ive seen involve making the OC mirror slightly curved to gradually reduce the beam size over a "throw distance" (through the crystal passes and out of the cavity) and then collimate said beam with more optics.

If you are seriously considering this project, please enlighten us as to your schematics.

Originally I had found some relativly cheap surplus rods and a un-mounted diode bar floating around, and I thought that maybe I could construct a green laser. Truthfully im still in the planning stages and I really dont know what all is required to make this work and if this project is even feasible. My concept of a dpss green laser is a 808nm diode fired into a yag or nv04 crytal then through ktp, Although something tells me its not that simple(please correct me if I'm wrong). Any idea or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Boone

Have a look here, we got lots of rods, and are about to start gillette testing our baby soon.....

www.abex.co.uk

Gold

Here are a few pictures of a 2W DPSS system I have that uses a 20W diode bar side pumping a tiny YAG rod

http://www.junktronix.com/gallery/halfnote

Kevin

Thanks for all the replys guys, I appreciate all the help I can get. Although I couldn't seem to find any YAG rods on GoldMagnets web site, perhaps you could give me a direct link? Also, Im quite interested in Kevins side pumped laser, I'll be sending you a pm soon. Again, I appreciate all the help very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix
    Here are a few pictures of a 2W DPSS system I have that uses a 20W diode bar side pumping a tiny YAG rod

Kevin
    Hey kevin,

cant really make it out from the pics, but how is the rod mounted? what measures have they gone to to cool the rod?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave

Kevin
    Hey kevin,

cant really make it out from the pics, but how is the rod mounted? what measures have they gone to to cool the rod?

Dave
    They use a small copper block that has a slot machined into it that just fits the rod and is gold plated to act as a reflector. The rod is epoxied in and there is a sapphire window epoxied on to to exposed side so that there is a nice smooth surface where the 808nm enters. The whole assembly is built on a large metal plate that is cooled with a huge TEC.

Nect time I have one of these out, I'll try to get better pictures of the YAG assembly.

Kevin

Kevin
    That is the most scary laser I have ever seen :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What a nice laser to impress friends...
    I have to own one of that someday....

I must be jaded, but 2W doesn't really scare me any more. I'll have to get some pictures of my 40W Laserscope while it's running so you can see a truely scary laser The scary part is that it's Q-switched so it's actually a 20KHz stream of 20KW pulses that averages out to 40W. One 20KW pulse will blind you instantly while a glance at a 2W CW laser will be uncomfortable and maybe even leave you with a blind spot, but it won't blow a hole in the back of your eyeball...

Kevin