Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Sheffield LEM

I detect LEM apathy ..surprisingly !

ALs went to trouble of finding what looks like a fine venue , at a great price , the next lems over 6 months away , theres a chance of a LEM/miniLEM in december as theres been before , people who have commented here are an hour / 2 hours away at most and nobodys saying what a great idea or leave it out we got enough etc

Looks like its me and you AL .... ( although if you hold it in decemebr i might not be able to make it LOL )

Seems to be a lot of fence sitting , nobodies jumping over

Paul
    Last edited by Lasermad; 10-12-2010 at 15:42.
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

I'm strongly with ol'Soffy of this one.
    *could* be a deal clincher...

Will there be cake?
    Laserists march on their (cake filled) stomaches...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by skulpture View Post
    Hi,

I am based in Doncaster so if you need a DJ to turn up and play banging music for hours then let me know. It seems to work really well at Surflet.

We would need to talk about a PA and stuff but I wont charge anything, just so long as I dont lose money.

Just a thought
    Sounds great. I'm not sure I entirely understood everything you said here but there's nothing we can't sort out. At the end of the day I don't think there would be enough funds to offer any payment but if you wanted to come and play some music then that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    I'm strongly with ol'Soffy of this one.
    *could* be a deal clincher...

Will there be cake?
    Laserists march on their (cake filled) stomaches...
    As a famous biblical person once said:

"Let there be Cake!"

I'd be happy to do a late November meet if there's sufficient demand and an available date.

As Paul can't do December how would everyone feel about Sat 27th November provided the hall's free on that date?

Finance wise it shouldn't be too difficult.

We can potentially have a 8 hour day - eg. Noon - 8pm for £66.

Longer if requested. eg 10 hours would be £80.

So based on 10 attendees that could be £10 a head with anything over going to Spec.

I would ask for money upfront when we have a definite date but obviously if it was cancelled for any reason there would be a full refund. We would have to discuss what we should do in the case of an individual pull out as I'm not sure what is normally done at other LEMS. I would suggest a refund be made provided the hall costs are covered by other attendees.

As for the venue, I see no restrictions other than:

• No smoking indoors (plenty of exits and room outside)

• No water cooling (As I wouldn't want to risk a large water spill and potential damage to a £20K badmington floor!)

• No 3 phase - just don't want to take the p*ss with electric

Other than that I think anything goes provided we leave the hall as pristine as when we found it.

I see no problem in smoke machines, small single phase gas lasers, solid state, flight cases, tool boxes, sound systems etc. If there's enough interest I can check on the smoke alarm situation but I'm sure it can be turned off if need be as we're the only ones in the building so no-one else would be at risk.

The hall is used by the local scouts and also used for jumble sales so its not treated as a show venue. I see no reason why normal tinkering etc would cause any problems provided we clean up properly and treat it with ordinary respect.

There's a fully fitted kitchen with wooden kitchen units, a serving hatch into the main hall and 2 small but decent toilets.

There are sufficient tables to go around the hall for jumble sales so I envisage a set up similar to Leicester would be no problem.

Also if required I could see about CAA approval for CuBr outside if anyone wants to bring one and their own generator. Obviously there's a lot of land to work with and there's good access so literally you could drive a car from the car park onto the 1st playground and set up there without any carrying! Only possible problem I can see with CuBr is that we're definately under a flight corridor albeit not immediately near an airport.

Last edited by White-Light; 10-12-2010 at 16:18.

"If there's enough interest I can check on the smoke alarm situation "
    err AL , thats kinda ESSENTIAL !
    No Smoke / Hazers = Nobody turning up ! ( unless its a software training meet !)

" I could see about CAA approval for CuBr outside if anyone wants to bring one and their own generator."
    err AL - yeah like we all have one in our boot LOL - dans yer man !

"As Paul can't do December how would everyone feel about Sat 27th November"
    both dates *might* be difficult , then again neither might , the shopping centres i work for
    leave it late to give dates and one year we were busy from 22nd nov thru unti 24th decemebr every night , but at moment 27th nov and sat 4th are free , just cant turn way paying work if it comes along ! somehow decemebr feels better for a lem though , can pull out the flying santas

paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

End of Nov, early Dec is no good for me, on hols
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    "If there's enough interest I can check on the smoke alarm situation "
    err AL , thats kinda ESSENTIAL !
    No Smoke / Hazers = Nobody turning up ! ( unless its a software training meet !)
    I know! Its not going to be a problem and I will check for definite when I start to see enough interest. The fire precautions there used to be a battery smoke detector in the kitchen (easily disabled)! Even if it is hard wired now I don't forsee any problems. We' re the only people in the building and apart from a small meeting upstairs, its pretty much the hall, kitchen and toilets.

" I could see about CAA approval for CuBr outside if anyone wants to bring one and their own generator."
    err AL - yeah like we all have one in our boot LOL - dans yer man !
    I know someone brought one to a previous LEM. Anyway its up to you guys on that one. If you want to run something outside then bring the electric! I'm providing plenty inside but like Jem I have to draw the line at 3 phase. We're not going to get the £7 price for the hall if we use £10 electric per hour!

but at moment 27th nov and sat 4th are free , just cant turn way paying work if it comes along ! somehow decemebr feels better for a lem though , can pull out the flying santas

paul
    How about Sat 4th December or Sun 5th December for everyone or even 11th or 12th (depending on availability)? I was thinking the earlier the better from a travelling point of view - avoiding the Christmas rush.

Hi Al

As you know, i'm just up the road so i'd probably be up for it as a one day LEM and would do my very best to support you in your endeavours providing the date doesn't clash with anything. It's a busy time of year though, particularly if you do commercial shows. I'd pretty much expect anyone in that situation to be working most weekends at that time of year.

I think my (pure sinewave) 2Kw Honda generator would run the CuBr, it would certainly run a couple of decent power DPSS RGB rigs. It's no problem to put in in the car 'just in case'. However, i'm not sure that outdoor approval would be easily forthcoming due to the close proximity of flight paths.

The Sheffield LEM doesn't have to be a big affair, just keep it small and simple.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

11/12th = 100% not possible
    4/5th = Very tricky; may not be possible...

CuBr is 10A.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

OK Anyone want to suggest dates?

I have no problem with November. Would even prefer it as it would be less busy being further away from Christmas. Was just concerned it might be a bit too close to Surfleet but if everyone is up for it then it would be great.

I tell you what;

if your interested in coming put your name below with available dates and we'll see if we can get soemthing togther to suit most people and then I'll check about hall availability and the fire alarm situation (just to be sure).

1. Al (Whitelight) - All dates

Just about any time for me apart from end of November, beginning or December.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!