Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Sheffield LEM

Default Proposed Sheffield LEM

As everyone's up for a Wakefield LEM, I defer to Jem unless people would like another meeting in between.

If you would then let me know with some date suggestions so it doesn't clash with either Wakefield or Surfleet.

I just got offered the Scout Hall at Bradway Primary School - the one in the pics in the other thread for £10 deposit + £7 per hour which seems a pretty good rate plus the weekends are available.

I'd probably propose a 1 day event initially as a trial.

This is the proposed Sheffield venue - approx 15-20 foot ceilings. There's an adult on the left of the picture for scale and the centre of the roof is just out of shot. To give you an idea of size, there are 2 full size badmington courts marked out inside:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp041e488c_0f.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	20232

This is the site. The green cross is the building we'd have.

The red cross is the caretakers house next to the car park.

The entire site is surrounded by a 6ft security fence in good order (no holes) and theres a second inner 6ft fence which the hall entrance itself sits inside.

Its in a good low crime area anyway.

I see no reason why we couldn't use the school fields as its all part of the same site although I'd have to check.

Nice!!!! thats a great place to do hold a meet. We even can play a game of soccer

AL

Good venue , GREAT PRICE ! sounds like you would not need that many to turn up to cover costs ... I would try to be there if you held a LEM/MiniLEM ( although as always date dependant - i have missed a few december surfleets as its busy time at work)

With a new date being SHOWLEM just being added to calendar looks like 2011 could be Busy Busy Busy !

I guess date wise people need to start talking , openly , honestly about what they want or if they want sheffield at all ... also AL you need to decide a minimum turnout you consider it viable to run this event for ... to me it looks like there two possibilities ... december this year wont clash with any other possible LEMS and is it feasible that Oct-2011 is sheffield instead of Surfleet or is that just a big NO NO ..personally I like surflleet but i dont mind experimenting ,moving around....maybe it could become tradition to move a LEM around the country ?? but it needs a few more of the regulars to chip in with thoughts ?

Cmon guys speak up !

Paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Oct 7-8-9 2011 will be a Surfleet bash Paul, it's already pencilled in with the hall owners

It will be nice to keep Surfleet as October and April bashes as non are in the full heat of the summer nor the freezing temps of the winter which makes it an easy and safe venue to get too reguarding.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Looks like things are starting to fall into place, based on quarterly meets , only attendance in due course will tell if theres demand ! Good to have the opportunities though !

DEC - 2010 - ?
    APR - 2011 - Surfleet booked
    JULY - 2011 - SHOWLEM booked
    OCT - 2011 - Surfleet pencilled in
    DEC - 2011 - ?

There was people turning up at December meets in past so might be demand ? but nothing to stop you picking another date , especially if you can come up with a theme that might attract people / new people / new hobbies etc.

Also al i noticed in past until a date is on the cards , people dont commit ... if i was you id pick a date and push for attendees by advertising as much as possible ... if it dont work well theres no demand , so cancellations in order ( been there sadly ) but you will find it easier once a dates in place ! and if you dont try we wont know !

Best of luck

Paul

EDIT -
    whatever happened to Leicester ! ??
    Also how about Decembers being a rotating north/south Mini lem ? ( anybody book the o2 for dec2011 ??? )
    Last edited by Lasermad; 10-12-2010 at 01:33.

Hi,

I am based in Doncaster so if you need a DJ to turn up and play banging music for hours then let me know. It seems to work really well at Surflet.

We would need to talk about a PA and stuff but I wont charge anything, just so long as I dont lose money.

Just a thought
    "An instant without duration"
    www.grahamthorne.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    whatever happened to Leicester ! ?
    Bin that off...
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    Bin that off...
    not really sure what that means ? you will need to translate into auld man language for me

Hi Paul

I think what Dan is trying to say is that Leicester fell out of favour. It was a great meeting place for a start and we are all very grateful to Mark (Fluff) for his efforts in getting the UKLEM's off the ground. However, the club (either of them) wasn't a particularly pleasant environment, and the parking situation was ludicrous, it was in a dark part of a big City and didn't feel particularly safe.

Then came Surfleet... A lovely clean place in a delightful setting, with all the functionality we required, there were no parking issues and we could play with lasers outside (thanks to Jim's formfilling activities). There's great accomodation for those who want it and it just feels like home

So, I guess what i'm trying to say is that we just naturally just outgrew Leicester. I don't think there's anyone who would say they preferred Leicester over Surfleet (unless they live in or near Leicester of course ).

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    .....Then came Surfleet... A lovely clean place in a delightful setting, with all the functionality we required, there were no parking issues and we could play with lasers outside ......
    Don't forget Jim's Mum's Cake !!

Mmmmm.... Cake ......