Thread: open can diode and GRIN lens, question

Default open can diode and GRIN lens, question

does it make any sense to get an open can diode and attach (with some sort of optical epoxy) a GRIN microlens directly on the chip to achieve collimation of the beam?

will it make the job of further collimating with an aspheric or beam shaping with cylinder lenses or prisms any easier?

i was thinking on this for an LOC or LPC red

i'd really appreciate your feedback on this

Lightbulb

I believe this is a "?" for Mecheng3... I think he wanted to did try something close.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

It can be done and collimated with a simple aspheric. The work required vs. the gain on the beam data was not worth the effort. If you attemp this....never let anything touch the faces of the die itself. The divergence of the raw beam will have to be matched with the N/A of the FAC lens you are using. That will set the distance from the output face of the die. A GRIN lens is a similar story....both cases will be done with a 3 axis micro-manipulator for optimum results. While using UV cure adhesive , you can control the exact set point of the optical components. Good luck and please share your results vs. time to achieve the task. See this machine.......http://pyro-science.com/mu1.html
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

And if your thinking of just ordering any old GRIN, Do not. They have to be designed for a specific wavelength, and if your more then +/- 1o nm off, the transmission goes to heck in a handbasket.

Steve

me scared and running for the hills..... thanks for the answers guys, i think that i will have to pass on this

i see tht my skills are not up to the task. better get good aspherics then