Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spectra Physics 168-35 Whitelight 5W

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=smogthemog;168539]@MG - How would you go about adjusting the pressure Steve?

The "Buzz" procedure is in the manual and consists of carefully turning a second key, in short momentary bursts. This opens a solenoid valve that dumps gas into the tube via a element that is resistive to gas flow. You need to 1. clean the optics. 2. Verify proper tube alignment in the magnet 3. Confirm the current meter indication with a calibrated shunt. 4. Verify that the cavity is walked and peaked. 5. Have a means of monitoring tube voltage, before you do this.

Too long a buzz is detrimental to the health of the laser, as you can fill the tube almost up to say half of atmospheric pressure.

Steve

Lightbulb

Hey L-Wink...

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    ...probably a bad set of white light optics...
    This, and / or, if you've not cleaned them - and especially the brewster windo - you could be losing a good bit, right there.... I had a 171 WL one time that *somehow* got
    a little tiny 'booger' on the HR mirror, in-transit to a gig (was fine in the shop...) and for the life of me, I could not figure out 'what happened to my Red'??!! - was all-kinds-of digging into tube pressure-mysteries (since all the 'numbers' were fine, etc...) and other such anomaly-theories... and it was just a wipe of the HR and brewsters... and there was my Red...

Just a suggestion - BUT - if you've never cleaned / been-shown how to clean the brewsters and HR properly - get some 'advice', first (and sorry, I gotta jet, or I'd be happy to type it all out..).... 'newbie brewster wipes' can easily make things worse, output-wise...

You should also 'play' with the tuning, a bit, first, before diving into gas-balance... sometimes that can be 'all it is', too...
    Then again, it could very well-be "bad set of white light optics"

Hope this is of some help...
    peas..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas told me to get:

UHP or electronics grade acetone and methanol, not the drug store or hard ware store stuff, lens tissue, one metal hemostat, and wooden core cotton tipped optics swabs with NO glue
    but i am not sure where to get that. anyone know an adress in the netherlands to buy these?