Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Tamper resistant fasteners in new XJ-A130 projectors!

Unhappy FYI: Tamper resistant fasteners in new XJ-A130 projectors!

This post has been removed by the author. It remains only in the memories of those who already read it...
    Last edited by mpoulton; 10-28-2010 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
    My latest batch of XJ-A130's includes several with an "updated" laser module, which is assembled with two tamper-resistant fasteners. These two fasteners are in the lower layer of screws that holds the collimating lens plate and the diode block onto the heatsink. Not only do these screws have a funky triangular head (it's not standard tri-wing), they are installed with permanent thread locker! They cannot be unscrewed, I don't think. Fortunately a brute-force machine shop approach solves the problem just fine.
    I was able to back these out with a standard tri-wing bit from my security set.
    leading in trailing technology

This post has been removed by the author. It remains only in the memories of those who already read it...
    Last edited by mpoulton; 10-28-2010 at 17:35.

Lightbulb

Hey mp -

Nice. The thread locker may be inconsistent. ...
    Thanks for the '411'.... ...you also might try a little 'localized' heat - ie: with one of those little 'torch' lighters... fast-heat, finely-pointed, just on the head... or, perhaps a soldering iron, but that might need more time to soften the locker, thus spreading heat out to a wider area...

Just a thought...
    peas...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hi mpoulton,

Maybe it's time to get medieval on it's ass!!

As the unit is not going back into service as is, a bit of destructive disassembly might be in order

I would just drill the head off the screw. As the screw is m2 a drill from 2mm-3.5mm or a 3/32-9/64th should do the trick. Run a vacuum cleaner close to the drill to keep that pesky swarf at bay.

Good luck
    Kit

Last edited by mpoulton; 10-28-2010 at 17:36.

Thumbs up

Nice work!

Heh heh heh... 'tamper proof" hehe heh heh. Bless em

In my findings I have found that any projector with a serial number starting in 1 on the second grouping (eg, wb032cjaf08-1xxxx for a A140 series)

I have found a few of them with exceptionally stiff thread locker, but for the most part a normal tri-wing screwdriver does the trick.

I believe the bits are called "TP3".

Available Here in All Sizes: http://www.mcmaster.com/#triangle-sc...r-bits/=9dtrzk

TA18, 20, 23, 27

I got a set from Maplin with a single 3mm bit in but they don't seem to have them anymore:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TP3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	20411
    Last edited by White-Light; 10-22-2010 at 02:08.

My latest batch of XJ-A130's includes several with an "updated" laser module, which is assembled with two tamper-resistant fasteners. These two fasteners are in the lower layer of screws that holds the collimating lens plate and the diode block onto the heatsink. Not only do these screws have a funky triangular head (it's not standard tri-wing), they are installed with permanent thread locker! They cannot be unscrewed, I don't think. Fortunately a brute-force machine shop approach solves the problem just fine.
    Why XJ-A130 ? .............. and not XJ-A140

Cheers