Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meierlight lasers

Default Meierlight lasers

Hi

I have been doing a few small rgb experiments with Meierlight lasers.I thought I'd tell you about how its going on the small home builds.

at first I used a small 300mW 650nm laser from HiTechdeals which worked ok on this driver..
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It was unusual to see that the diode on this driver dimmed on and off kinda like if it were analog but my software wont allow for this as it is TTL only....anyway about that The final product should have Pangolin Intro to run the projector I'm slowly building.

for blue I'm using 1W of 445nm but I'm thinking of putting one more through a PBS cube for fun and see how it goes(Technically the RGB colour for this wont match but I still wouldn't mind more blue!)

I have a 300mW 532 from Meierlight which I'm going to combine with another 300mW through a PBS cube also.Total of 600mW for base green.(440 dollars for the pair)Price is withing my limit of budget.These lasers are nice and bright and good beam apart from it flickers a bit during warm up.

I have now 2x1W 650's from them also for a cheap price.Around 800 dollars for the pair.No problems with them.(all there lasers appear brand new,no scratches ect.)
    Oh sorry there is....the beams are about 5x8mm judging from the hole it burnt through my velvet curtains at 3m distance.The beams fast axis appears to get fatter towards the head so I'm assuming it has some sort of telescope in it?
    I'm going to be putting them through a PBS cube also by next week but still thinking how the hell am I going to get those beams onto my scanner?

Here are some pics of What I have so far.The green on the left is 150mw,the red at the top is 300mw 650 and the 2 bottom reds are the 1W's plus the good old faithful 445nm

Speaking of the 445nm mine looks dim not sure why and the way I focused it you can see a split in the beam lol but I'm thinking of putting a second one or upping the power from 1A to 1.4A's

Here are some pics of my favorite past time hobby....

pictures are shot against my favorite velvet curtain haha

(The small dot of 445 blue is on the tip of my pinky finger at about 1m and is around the same thickness as my 150mW green)approx 2mmx1mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_006.jpg  

IMAGE_036.jpg  

IMAGE_028.jpg  

IMAGE_035.jpg  

IMAGE_003.jpg  

IMAGE_029.jpg  

IMAGE_002.jpg  

IMAGE_008.jpg  

IMAGE_034.jpg  

IMAGE_032.jpg  

IMAGE_026.jpg  

IMAGE_025.jpg  

IMAGE_009.jpg  

IMAGE_005.jpg  

IMAGE_031.jpg  

IMAGE_027.jpg  

IMAGE_004.jpg  

IMAGE_007.jpg  

IMAGE_030.jpg  

IMAGE_033.jpg  

IMAGE_010.jpg  

IMAGE_001.jpg  

IMAGE_044.jpg  

IMAGE_042.jpg  

IMAGE_043.jpg  

IMAGE_045.jpg  

IMAGE_062.jpg  

IMAGE_057.jpg  

IMAGE_055.jpg  

IMAGE_060.jpg  

IMAGE_056.jpg  

IMAGE_064.jpg  

IMAGE_061.jpg  

IMAGE_058.jpg  

IMAGE_053.jpg  

IMAGE_059.jpg  

IMAGE_054.jpg  

IMAGE_063.jpg  

El Paso, Texas USA and Juarez,Chihuahua Mexico

Default Nice Pics

I am enjoying your learning experience. Thanks for sharing and keep on lasing.~jimmy
    Wiki:The first visible wavelength laser diode was demonstrated by Nick Holonyak, Jr. in 1962.

FS: hi grade SEAL DUST

Thank you

Peace,Respect

do you have any way of knowing if the output is as advertised (from meierlight)? i've been wondering about their lasers for quite some time.

I dont actually have a meter to test them but what I can say is this.
    The 300mW next to my 150mW 532 looks a bit more than double the brightness judging by the dot and the reflected light from the dot.The beam is of course thicker as well and more visible without smoke.

I must say apart from the thickness of the 650nm laser beams there power must be a watt or over and does allot of damage burning things and makes the 445nm look stupid.I cannot leave them on for longer than a 20 seconds unattended without smoke appearing on ANYTHING except steel haha.....When I align them through a PBS cube it makes a cross instead of a circle but were the cross meets in the middle(Max power), it starts burning my thick wooden chair within less than 25secs.Meierlight swear they are slightly over that and I personally believe them.The setup with power supply is awesome and I think they did a good job of making them apart from the actual key...It's a bit soft(Only bummer but not a huge deal)

The 300mW green flickers a bit during warm up but I dont think it matters too much.Only problem I found was the lens was a bit dusty but I wipped off the cover and cleaned it.I also told them about this and he asked me to send it back.I told him its too late and that I did it myself and complained a little only and got him to drop the prices of all his lasers for me.(This is probly because I will be buying allot more from him also) but I'd recommend them to anyone else in the hobby line especially but I am having mine built properly into a case by someone who knows what they are doing with variance and will be using them in shows.

I hope this helps.
    Peace,Respect.

Default Power

Quote Originally Posted by thallium View Post
    do you have any way of knowing if the output is as advertised (from meierlight)? i've been wondering about their lasers for quite some time.
    I just got two 1W Green units from them, They are the DHOM units and both are doing over 1.5W out of the box. We will see how long that lasts but so far so good.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by wondertwnz View Post
    I just got two 1W Green units from them, They are the DHOM units and both are doing over 1.5W out of the box. We will see how long that lasts but so far so good.

Larry
    I know that they are not legal in the US and that whatever diodes they use (maybe low end DHOM like the CDS CNI?) leak IR quite badly. They are not even compliant with IEC 60825 so take that for what it is worth.

I also have the 1W from them,nice laser!
    Ill be getting a second one from them also,Im convinced!

Infrared filters are dirt cheap anyway.
    Peace,Respect

I think the lasers should be affixed firmly to an immovable object so they don't get inavertantly bumped or dropped. Even hobbiests are not imune to blindness. From the pictures, that setup looks a little, shall we say, "risky". Eye protection would be a must in this environment and make sure you have sufficient O.D. in the right wavelengths. The door to that room should be locked while the lasers are on too. There are plenty of other safety practices that could protect you and anyone else in that hobby-sphere. Sheesh. I like the beauty of the light and the good information on lasers, but those pictures make me skeered.

Disclaimer: As a new guy here I don't mean to be too critical, and I do not want to be regarded as a safety nut. There's more to me than that, but as has been mentioned on this forum, we have an interest in self-regulation and safety, because without it, we will get help we don't want from the government. This message should be taken as a friendly observation based solely on what's visible in the pictures. For all I know the room could have been unoccupied with a locked door and a remote video camera. There might have been a warning sign and a clearly visible flashing light outside the room alerting little sister that a source of light brighter than the sun was inside waiting to scorch her retina upon entry. As I learned in LSO school, have fun; just don't poke yourself in the eye with the laser beam.

So why mention an opinion based on an unclear judgement?

My first laser was 17 years ago and it wasnt just the light for me it was the science.
    My table is for experiments only.Yes I have goggles.

Anyway welcome to the forum
    Peace,Respect