Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A few "almost there" shots of the new board.

Hi Bill

Good to see you on this forum.

I have emailed you in the past about Pangolin. I'm the md at MMS Distribution.

I've just taken delivery of the new Neo lasers. We will be playing with them over the next few days/weeks !! Any tips on the fb3 would be welcome.

First impressions are very good, although the units did suffer quite a bit of transit damage. The Trintity pro is something else !!

I have a few diode issues to sort out, but everything else looks excellent. I will hopefully get a copy of LD2000 today or tomorrow, so we will be able to test the lasers out fully. ( I am waiting for the Cypher pro too ).

i'll look forward to reading your posts on here.

regards

Mark
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

I was wondering if this board was just a one-off project for your company or are you planning on releasing it as a hobbiest board/kit kinda deal?

also where could one get more information about the South Eastern Laser Enthusiasts Meeting?

There is a discussion of the upcomming SELEM in the "lasers meet-and-greet" area of this board. (click here for link:)
    Note - the discussion runs to three pages, and recently we've been toying with changing the date. It will still be over a weekend, and will be this summer, but the original dates of June 17th - 18th may turn out to be inconvenient for too many people. We're still gathering information, and haven't made a decision yet.

Hi Fluff,

Thanks for the kind words about the software. We have come up with a number of updates since you acquired your system from NEO. Please contact us to get the latest software and workspace for free. You can contact us here:
    http://www.pangolin.com/contact

Regarding the comments from FLECOM, Pangolin really offers a broad array of software and hardware products, ranging in price from below $500 on upward... The product that Fluff has is our Flashback 3, along with some software that we customized specifically for NEO-NEON. You can read about the Flashback 3 here:
    http://www.pangolin.com/flashback/flashback3.htm

That link does not show the software that we have bundle with it for free, but it has been mentioned by others in this forum who have also snapped a screen shot. Actually that's one of the problems we have -- we spend so much time working on laser software that we don't have much time to update our web site.

Unless I have already missed the SELEM, I would be happy to come there and show what we have, as well as distribute some scweg...

Best regards,

William Benner

Bill;

You didn't miss it - SELEM didn't happen this year. Spec couldn't find a venue in the Atlanta area that would allow both lasers and fog machines without requiring silly expenditures like paying for the fire marshal to be there! Then we had trouble with 3 phase power and water for cooling.

Honestly, I think either Charleston or Charlotte may offer better choices for a venue, but then transportation becomes a problem. (Atlanta was a lot more central to the members of the forum, plus it's a *HUGE* airline hub...)

We're still mulling it all over, but chances are good that we won't actually have a SELEM until next year. (sigh...) Stay tuned to PhotonLexicon for more info.

Adam

Do we really need a ballroom-sized space for SELEM?

Default Re: SELEM planning...

Hi Eric;

We wanted more space for several reasons...

1) Longer throw means you can keep your optical scan angle down, so you can run higher pps.

2) More space means you can have several projectors set up at the same time - even running at the same time - without tripping over one another.

3) It's desirable to have a place to sit down, eat, drink, kibitz, etc away from the lasers. Don't want anyone spilling their diet coke on a running laptop!

4) We didn't really know how many people would be coming, or what equipment they would bring. At one point there was talk of several members bringing large frame ion lasers that would need water cooling and 3 phase power. We felt that it would be better to err on the large side in deference to this fact.

However, given that the venue selection process for this year ended up being a total failure, we're thinking about other options. As I mentioned earlier, there may be more options available if we're willing to move the location. (For Example: DreamBeamz at one point suggested a Church near Charlotte, NC that we could have used!) I think we could probably make do with a large conference room - say 30' by 30' - but we were originally looking for something larger.

I'm going to start looking into options in the Charleston, SC area as a backup for next year. If we can't find anything in Atlanta by early spring, I want to have a few locations scouted out here so we can do this thing for certain next year.

We'd like it to be close to, if not inside, a hotel. That way people can walk from SELEM to their rooms. Likewise, we'd like food and drink to be available within walking distance. (Since it was decided early on to allow alcohol, we didn't want anyone DRIVING after the first night.)

It may be that we have to give up 3 phase power and/or water cooling. That would seriously limit the types of lasers that could be brought to the event, but it will also greatly increase the number of possible venues. It may also be that we'll need to be a bit more remote from the local hotels, but if that means a lot of driving then we need to reconsider the idea of having booze there...

If you're interested in helping out, even if you've just got some good suggestions, I'm sure Spec would appreciate it! He's been really busy these past few months and hasn't had much free time left to devote to the forums, let alone the SELEM planning effort.

Adam