Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dim lasever 473nm

Default dim lasever 473nm

Hi guys, just wanted to run a question by you all.

I put together a RGB projector last Christmas with a blue I got on this forum. It is a 200mW 473nm Lasever.

Over time the output has reduced massively and is now a mere glow at the aperture.

I'm stuck out in the Caribbean so shipping the unit away isn't really an option.

I'm going to try and find the time to remove it from the projector. I was hoping to get some advice on what steps I should start using to try and get it up and running again (if possible!). I'm sure I read somewhere about replacing an 808nm diode???

Any help would be appreciated.

Like I said it will be a while before I have time to remove it from the projector as I'm really tied up with work. I just wanted to get a head start.

I thanks you all in advance.

Rich

That's rough.. after less than a year? Is it possibly still under warranty?

Replacing the diode in any DPSS can be a real challenge, especially 473nm. 473nm lasers are very sensitive and difficult to keep stable. If you've never replaced a diode before, a blue laser is a bad place to start. There are a couple people here who could probably pull it off for you, but it might be simpler all around to just buy a new laser.

Exclamation

It is dead, return it. Lasever can be hard to get in touch with but are usually good about providing a warranty replacement although turn around time can be long. Start contacting them now while it is under warranty.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

It's not the diode. I will bet it is still producing copiuos amounts of pump energy. I would not attempt a repair without some reasonable cleanroom. These are a pain to get going with a new set of rocks.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Thanks for the replies.

Just what I suspected. I think it is out of warranty as I bought it second hand. I'll contact Lasever either way as they should be able to pull the info up from the serial number.

Ahhhhh what a pain. I'm going to go down the 405nm route for the time being as I can't justify buying another 473nm at the moment.

Thanks again

Rich

I've now taken the 473nm out of the projector. I fired it up independantly. The modulation is feed directly from the 5v power supply. The head emits a faint dot. After a minute or so the head gets warm.

How can I open up the head unit on these Lasever units so I can trace the wiring from the driver?

My tools are limited here, everything is still in the Uk.

Thanks in advance

Rich

I would refrain from doing so....the wires coming off the TEC near the diode mount are very fragile............plus this breaks the sealed compartment. I think they use a 30K Ohm thermistor and the diode should be a 3.8 watt. I have only repaired 3 successfully out of 5 that had these symptoms....$328. Not worth the time unless you have the parts on hand...new LBO-Yag and output coupler sets. Tec wires are white and brown...blue and green are the thermistor.....black red are diode power leads. Hope this helps......if you want to sell for parts let me know....I can use them!
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

The driver gets really hot too.

What would this be worth like this. I could sell it for parts or trade it for something laser based. I am currently in the Caribbean so shipping may take a few weeks. I paid $1175 plus shipping in September last year. I got it off Dram Beamz. He said it was doing 215mW when he shipped it. I don not have a power meter so couldn't test it. It certainly isn't doing that now.

Rich

To be honest; I wouldn't even run a Lasever 473 that wasn't bolted to a good heatsink, they do produce an awful lot of heat.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Trouble is that the adhesive gives way on some of the TEC's and they fry the diode to a crisp in short order. Some have burned a hole in the output coupler....some burned the coating off the Yag.....not good either way. I would rather have a different style laser with independant TEC's for better overall lasing.