Thread: Newbie with one of the most common questions

Default Newbie with one of the most common questions

Hi,

I just bought my first DJ laser and other than this purchase I know little to nothing about them, other than that line used in Austin Powers, "I just want some sharks with frickin lasers on their heads".....haha

Ok anyway, I bought this Chauvet Storm MG http://www.chauvetlighting.com/scorpion-storm-mg.html

Being a somewhat responsible adult I read the instructions and realized I have purchased something that could possible be dangerous, so I started looking into it more. Realizing that under no circumstances will I be able to scan the crowd, (which is what I envisioned doing), I started looking for info on how and where to use this thing. All that I have found is that it needs to be aimed 3-meters above the highest point of a person and 2.5-meters to either side of where a person can be positioned. That sounds great, but this display spreads a very large rotating pattern. So my question is, where is that based from? Is it the centerline of the laser or to the farthest reaching edges of the display? I just want to be sure that I am aiming this thing in a manner that will not endanger anyone's eyesight.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to position this? My gut instinct tells me that it must be well above a persons head and pointed up at a fairly steep angle completely out of line with any eye contact, basically showing it on a ceiling? However, I know I have seen them pointed downward onto a dance floor from above. How are these things used effectively to produce a good effect while taking safety into consideration?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

SHMO
    Last edited by shmo; 10-25-2010 at 20:04.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

As usual a lot depends on your location.
    Fill in a bit more of your profile details and some folks in your locale will be able to advise the legal ramifications more clearly.

I'm not really sure what more profile info you would need?

As far as the location I will be using this, it is indoors for dance parties well under 100 people. The venue will always be the same, which is a small room roughly 35x30 with standard 8 foot tall ceilings. I was directed to purchase this unit from a salesman to up ante on the effects I am currently using. I have a few strobes, a smoke machine, backlights, the usual. Perhaps this laser is something I should reconsider?

I just don't want to use something in a manner that can be harmful, and I also don't want to use something that I have to position or utilize in a manner that completely kills any effect it may have.

If anyone has some input on how to position this safely and effectively, that would be great.

SHMO

Have a word with Marc (CT Lasers) as he's in the US and deals a lot with variance compliance. I had a feeling you could audience scan with Class 3R but don't take my word for that as I know little about the complex US regulations. Best speak to Marc.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Have a word with Marc (CT Lasers) as he's in the US and deals a lot with variance compliance. I had a feeling you could audience scan with Class 3R but don't take my word for that as I know little about the complex US regulations. Best speak to Marc.
    I agree on both points; from teh spec sheet it sounds like this could be used for crowd scanning, but again, talk with a "legitimate" laser professional like Marc before you dream of taking our workds for it.

The PDF for the device says something interesting about >5mW on the warning lable...
    http://www.chauvetlighting.com/produ...n_storm_mg.pdf
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Thanks guys,

I spoke with Chauvet this morning, and I was told that it is relatively safe to use for indirect scanning of the crowd. The reasoning being that is indeed a 30MW diode, but it uses a refractive grate that breaks the beam down so far that each individual light beam is under 5mw. The guy did say that it could be slightly harmful, but not enough to be concerned about. He advised that it was not viewed directly into the aperture from a close distance. I was also told that this unit does not require a variance. That somewhat put me at ease, but I also doubt that the guy I was speaking with was a scientist by any means...haha. He told me that he uses these shooting from the floor up directly into the faces of viewers at house parties...I dunno about that being "REAL SAFE".

So, I would like to pursue this a little more before throwing caution to the wind. How would I go about getting in touch with Marc at CT laser? Is he a contributing forum member?

Thanks again for the input,
    SHMO

Dont talk to Marc. That guy is a big jerk!!

(im Marc)

OK, anyway-

the Chauvet lighting, for what they are, are relatively safe. Now i am *not* condoning crowd scanning, but these things aimed down really is no problem. Unless someone at your party purposely holds their eye open and purposely holds their eye in front of a 0 order beam (non-diffracted) purposely up close while purposely following the beam around there really will be no problems.

A applaud you for trying to do the right thing, and for being safe, but you can use this 99.999999% safely under *NORMAL* operating circumstances. No variance is needed to operate it in public. Just be smart with it. Dont turn it on and aim it straight down into a crowd 3 feet in front of you with it not moving.

Hang it on a truss (or whatever) and shoot it over your crowd. Any stray beams or stray effects that do roam down into the crowd will not be harmful under *NORMAL* circumstances.

you probably would have a better chance of winning powerball while being struck by lightning while in a plane crash than hurting aynone with your laser.

Have fun with it. just be smart and use common sense.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Awesome. Thank you for the input, Marc!

I actually phoned Chauvet back prior to reading your reply to speak with someone a little higher up, and I was given a similar response to yours. That pretty much puts me at ease for using it. My plan is to mount it about ceiling height (8-feet) and shine it down in a fairly steep angle towards the dance floor. I'm hoping with a little fog thrown into the mix I will get a nice effect.

Very appreciative of everyones replies.

SHMO

shine it down in a fairly steep angle towards the dance floor
    i wouldnt do that. yes, it still isnt really that dangerous, but it will become an annoyance to alot of your guests. my suggestion, try it out yourself in your house or something. its not gonna blind you or melt your retinas, but those beams are bright and they will become a nuisance.

try to aim it straight across the floor and let the "lower" beams and diffracted beams roam where they may. but i wouldnt try to "Aim it down into the crowd." again, its safe for them (or *relatively* safe) but its probably gonna drive em nuts.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems