Thread: School disco, asked to do laser show, but i don't do the music,how to make most of it

Default School disco, asked to do laser show, but i don't do the music,how to make most of it

Hello group, since several of my daughters classmates saw my lasershow at home they have brought this to the attention of their school and i was asked to attend the next school disco next week on friday.
    Of course i will grab this opportunity but i have some doubts about making the most of it.
    For example, i will not be in charge of the music so preparing shows with spaghetti is not an option. I know my dmx/ilda board is equiped with a microphone but this only plays the limited set of build in graphics and as far as i know it only shows when the music is playing and stops when the sound stops so it is not that much interesting i guess.
    Is it possible to create some sort of cartoon/beam show that will interact/listen to the music being played or should i just prepare some ilda files and play them myself.
    Suggestions?
    I have ishow and spaghetti at hand.

Michel Rietveld

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Time to do a crash course with LFI player.

Michel Rietveld[/QUOTE]

any idea which dac is used in ishow dac?

i see LFI player supports

EasyLase
    EzAudDAC
    GWS
    RIYA

got to get mysef an EasyLase II usb soon, this seems to be most compatible with all the software out there

Default finally

i did make my life easier and ordered an easylase II usb so i can use all the goodies out there which my less acurate ishow dac doesn't support.
    i hope to see the difference when switching from 8bit xy to 12 bit

Hey Michel,

Since the School Disco was today i wanted to know how it went ?
    Hope the kids liked your laser !

let us know and more important, did you make any pictures ? We love pictures of lasers here....
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

This is where analogue desks are worth their weight in gold.

Default YES !!!

so, it is ten o clock in the evening and we just finished up with the show, it was in one word "brilliant", we changed between music and spaghetti shows, when the music played i threw in laser beams and tried to match it to the subject of the song and i played a lot of shows which i found in the spaghetti show folder on the ftp.
    i will ask for the pictures since i didn't take any myself, was too busy, and they shot some film so will see if i can take my hands on evidence for my first performance.
    thanks for the help guys, couldn't have done it without you.

i need a bigger red ;-) and a blue and dichro mirros and holders and then a case and ..... money would be helpfull so i am super enthousiastic and need to move forward.
    the organisation asked me to attend next time (for the coming 6 years that my daugter will go to their school)

Michel

Hey Michel,

that's great news that the show went fine, cool that Ledfreak3d was able to fix up the scanners so quickly ! Now the bad news.....
    You just entered a new hobby which will be more a money pit then driving your motorbike ;-)

But we will help you get started, just like the cool people here taught me everything i know now. If you need help (or more lasers next time) just holler....
    I am still learning myself everyday, but 2 people know more than one right ?
    Plus the LEM will be soon, the knowledge that is present there will get you another step further in your hobby !

Looking forward to your footage and pics !
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

I have this problem all the time. I've used my laser at about 10 school disco's over the past 2 years.

What I have discovered is it doesn't matter at all. I usually just start up QuickShow, and set it to virtual DJ and let it throw out random frames, or I just load up ShowRider and play any random show without audio. Usually the laser matches to the music in some way, and the kids don't really care.

I've even left it on 1 frame for a few minutes to get pictures and kids were still excited over it (Jumping up trying to get their hands into it etc)

how do you set it to virtual dj?

Michel