Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Threat letter from casio's attorney - BUTZEL LONG

Imagine what De Beers would have to say if somebody started flooding the market with one karat natural diamonds at $35?

It wouldn't be lawyers you'd have to worry about, it would be slow moving cars with blacked out windows.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

There seems to be this rumor floating around on both PL and LPF that selling raw diodes is not illegal nor regulated.

I assure you every major diode vendor keeps a record of whom the diode was sold to, and includes a statement requiring the diodes to go into a finished product. All diodes also ship in labeled packages with the required warning stickers on them, and some ship with a ready to use warning sticker included for each diode.

That was argued to death on the OEM hene tubes. I can mention a few now retired vendors of raw OEM hene tubes and kits that have slammed right into the rules, including one maker of hene PSU kits that settled out of court for megabucks. Even the OEM tubes were a laser. Period.

OEM does not mean a product is exempt, it means a final user making a product for introduction into commercial sale is intended to buy the part and make a compliant product. The maker of the laser is supposed to only sell to a OEM that understands this and that has shown intent to comply.

Just because the rules may not be enforced against individuals now, does not mean it cannot or is not enforced.

Like it or not, the raw diode is a laser, and the laser rules do apply. The onus is on the first seller to do right and record the sales data in case of recalls. Right now resale is loosely regulated, but that can change.

One thing I did about 9 years ago was install a retrofit kit onto a OEM laser. The maker sent out kits to every end user that bought the tiny, OEM Dpss because it was less expensive then the lab package. The university had bought the OEM, and received a nice letter in the mail demanding them to fit the kits, document doing so, or send the laser back. The kits were a shutter and stickers.. I was told the kits were part of a legal settlement.

I gotta get Back to building something that I really had to fight to get the diodes for. I mean really fight. One of the requirements on buying the diodes was proving the end user is a corporation. Strangely, I can't tell you what it is form or which diodes. Harvesting is precisely one of the reasons I can not tell you anything about the diode So sayeth the NDA. Included in the order was a copy of the chain of custody for required record keeping and a compliance notice.

Have a nice ray!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Imagine what De Beers would have to say if somebody started flooding the market with one karat natural diamonds at $35?

It wouldn't be lawyers you'd have to worry about, it would be slow moving cars with blacked out windows.
    Considering how they popped their cork over synthetics... I would not doubt it. Russia is the second largest vendor. Subsidized AKMs with plenty of ammo would be made available to solve the problem, I'm sure.

Steve

There seems to be this rumor floating around on both PL and LPF that selling raw diodes is not illegal nor regulated.

I assure you every major diode vendor keeps a record of whom the diode was sold to, and includes a statement requiring the diodes to go into a finished product. All diodes also ship in labeled packages with the required warning stickers on them, and some ship with a ready to use warning sticker included for each diode.

That was argued to death on the OEM hene tubes. I can mention a few now retired vendors of raw OEM hene tubes and kits that have slammed right into the rules, including one maker of hene PSU kits that settled out of court for megabucks. Even the OEM tubes were a laser. Period.

OEM does not mean a product is exempt, it means a final user making a product for introduction into commercial sale is intended to buy the part and make a compliant product. The maker of the laser is supposed to only sell to a OEM that understands this and that has shown intent to comply.

Just because the rules may not be enforced against individuals now, does not mean it cannot or is not enforced.

Like it or not, the raw diode is a laser, and the laser rules do apply. The onus is on the first seller to do right and record the sales data in case of recalls. Right now resale is loosely regulated, but that can change.

One thing I did about 9 years ago was install a retrofit kit onto a OEM laser. The maker sent out kits to every end user that bought the tiny, OEM Dpss because it was less expensive then the lab package. The university had bought the OEM, and received a nice letter in the mail demanding them to fit the kits, document doing so, or send the laser back. The kits were a shutter and stickers.. I was told the kits were part of a legal settlement.

I gotta get Back to building something that I really had to fight to get the diodes for. I mean really fight. One of the requirements on buying the diodes was proving the end user is a corporation. Strangely, I can't tell you what it is form or which diodes. Harvesting is precisely one of the reasons I can not tell you anything about the diode So sayeth the NDA. Included in the order was a copy of the chain of custody for required record keeping and a compliance notice.

Have a nice ray!

Steve

Steve, when you post stuff like that, would you mind being clear if you are referring to the US only, or more generically about the rest of the world also?

I was told by harley davidson one time that I could not use the word "harley flask" in my ebay advertisements.

wow could you imagine the nightmare if you had to pay a royalty every time you said..."google it"

some companies like car companies love people to use their trademarked logos and brands to increase brand recognition. CA$l() are just a bunch of pussies. Eff em...

corporations for the most part suck...
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Volkswagen climbed up the rear-end of the entire VW scene not too many years back. If you used the word Volkswagen, Beetle, Bug, VeeDub or even a picture of a VW on your website you got a cease and desist letter from their lawyers. They pretty much turned every old aircooled owner against them for awhile, which also happened to be a lot of their current and future customers. They finally wised up and backed off but you will still find that any VW website you will come across that isn't part of the official Volkswagen company will have some kind of disclaimers stating that they are not affiliated with VWOA or Volkswagen Werks of Germany.

I've got a Casio organ, but from now I think I'm going to use the other word for organ....

penis

Well, have fun playing your penis.

There's many a good tune played on an old penis... or is that fiddle? I would guess the bow chafes somewhat however.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Steve, when you post stuff like that, would you mind being clear if you are referring to the US only, or more generically about the rest of the world also?
    *******Otay*********

Steve