Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to build an Arctos multi diode array

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    Really great work Andy!

Out of interest, would there be any advantage to stacking the individual beams closer together? From the photos there looks to be a small gap between the beams.
    the photo is misleading.

they are all tight together but due to the shape of the beam it looks as if there is a gap between each
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    thats really really sexy...

also, doesn't the ca$io have 24 diodes? that rig uses 24 diodes... you see where this is going?
    the casio does have 24 diodes, but they are to far apart to combine. you would need a complete new holder for them
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Awesome build Andy. Just been going through your web page and and the Arctos style build really blows me away. Respect to those who build, this is way over head!

BTW on the patent front have you pulled it up and read through the wording? Arctos obviously can't have patented all beam combining otherwise no company could produce multi-diode units (which is what most diode based laser units are anyway) so they've obviously patented doing it in a certain way or over a certain number of diodes. Might be worth looking at the wording to see what is covered and what isn't covered as it may be possible to build something similar for commercial use without actually infringing the patent depending on how you achieve the combining or the number of diodes you use.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Awesome build Andy. Just been going through your web page and and the Arctos style build really blows me away. Respect to those who build, this is way over head!

BTW on the patent front have you pulled it up and read through the wording? Arctos obviously can't have patented all beam combining otherwise no company could produce multi-diode units (which is what most diode based laser units are anyway) so they've obviously patented doing it in a certain way or over a certain number of diodes. Might be worth looking at the wording to see what is covered and what isn't covered as it may be possible to build something similar for commercial use without actually infringing the patent depending on how you achieve the combining or the number of diodes you use.
    indeed they have patented combining a certain way. i believe they have patented the stacking of beams and the use of telescopics to shrink them beams down. they havent patented knife edgeing or stacking. its the combination of stacking beams with the use of telescopics.

i believe most laser companies stack but do not use telescopics. if you put a good quality lens on a 640 diode you get a 1mm by 1.5mm beam out, so you can combine many of these and still get a decent beam out. but without telescopics you are very limited on the many you can combine, so most companies (rgb and kvant) only make up to 4-5watt reds.

arctos make 10watt reds with really good beams using telescopics.

at the end of the day if you want to get real high powered reds with decent arctos 3mm beams you have to stack beams and use telescopics.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Whats the point, he as already said he aint going to sell it or use it to earn money!
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    the casio does have 24 diodes, but they are to far apart to combine. you would need a complete new holder for them
    yes but you made that holder! I am saying put the 24 diodes in your arctos assembly

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    i believe most laser companies stack but do not use telescopics.
    I know for a fact laserwave does on their higher power reds (not sure if any actually shipped, but the one I have does) and I am fairly certain kvant does also on their reds

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    yes but you made that holder! I am saying put the 24 diodes in your arctos assembly

I know for a fact laserwave does on their higher power reds (not sure if any actually shipped, but the one I have does) and I am fairly certain kvant does also on their reds
    oh i see, could work

well laserwave only make a 600mw so i suspect its not really against any patent. and kvant do and dont, ive seen a kvant 600mw with telescopics and a kvant 800mw without telescopics so...
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

So they got nothing on patenting an RGB laser projector
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Did you guys never wondered why they have patent PENDING on there modules for years....

they probably "by accident" lost the patent denied letter and are still waiting....