Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project: 5W full color

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Interesting that they sell it as a 1W module, but then recommend not running it greater than 600mA which equates to about 500mW. Either way, i doubt you'd get a stable 1W without a TEC
    ive run it @ 1.2W for over 48 hours with just a 40mm fan on the top of the heatsink

ive run it @ 1.2W for over 48 hours with just a 40mm fan on the top of the heatsink
    Hehe, that rather flies in the face of reports from people who insist on using TECs.

I'm a fan of the KISS principle (there's enough complication going on in a projector already - one less thing to fail) so passive cool wherever possible.

Did you monitor temp and output during that period at all? Interested to see if you saw any dropoff in power as the temp rose (significant or otherwise)

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Hehe, that rather flies in the face of reports from people who insist on using TECs.

I'm a fan of the KISS principle (there's enough complication going on in a projector already - one less thing to fail) so passive cool wherever possible.

Did you monitor temp and output during that period at all? Interested to see if you saw any dropoff in power as the temp rose (significant or otherwise)
    i suppose it comes down to dust, if your happy to have a fan on top of your module blowing dust and crap everywhere then hey...

id rather tec as then you can have a sealed module/optics, but each to their own. if we all did things the same it would be boring
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

i suppose it comes down to dust, if your happy to have a fan on top of your module blowing dust and crap everywhere then hey...
    I guess thats dictated by how well sealed your whole projector is

I've got fans on all of my purchased laser heads so one more ain't gonna hurt - incentive to ensure no dust is there to be blown about!

But yeah, vive le difference!

my projectors have no fans in the laser part so i have no dust/dirty problems.

i suspect if your out doing shows weekly then any kind of fan in the laser/optics part is gona cause a maintenance issue.

but if the projector is for home use it wont make a blind bit of difference
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I would think a lot of that comes down to how effective your filtering is and whether you ensure positive pressure in the case.

Certainly I don't see any dust in my cases but I do get very dirty filters! Regular cleaning is a must

Open case is maintanance, even if you steer and filter your air there still be smoke particles in the laser making your optics dirty.

That why we design a dust proof housing:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails progress..jpg  

sorry but im with mccarrott.

take your kit to a festival and see just how dirty they get
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

i suppose the use of a bk7 ar coated window after the galvos helps too

not much difference if you use positive or negative pressure in a really dirty environment (dusty, smokey, humid etc very much like the ceilling of a club)

positive pressure pumps all the garbage in, while neative pressure sucks all the garbage in. so, you just choose the method that your optics will get dirty.

going airtight with the optics is a very reasonable path. and use positive pressure for the part with the psus and electronics with good filters

take your kit to a festival and see just how dirty they get
    I do, its most of their working life so far.