Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laserscope - Conversion finished for show next weekend!

well I guess if there ever is a melblem then we could bring this along.

we are all too slack though to actually get off our butts and organise something
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Quote Originally Posted by aijii View Post
    we are all too slack though to actually get off our butts and organise something
    I guess the surfing, drinking and BBQ's must take up all your spare time.

i've only surfed once.

i have other hobbies too though

www.lasershowparts.com

Cool Sorry... No offense-intended...

... I just couldn't see starting an entire thread for this.... though, I guess, since it's at least *somewhat* related to your PM, Dave, it's not *totally* threadjacking..

Previous-attempt at the 'smallest KTP controller' (for 'emergency / back-up' purposes...):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09594.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	21537

.. I think I've gotten it beat:

Name:	KTP_eMicronaut.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	21538

... any other tacklers of this 'record'? I suppose someone could come-up with all this on a single-chip, with micro-switches all on a mini-PCB, with the 26-pinner,
    straight-into the ALE, with inputs to micro-relays, for Lamp-on, Current hi/lo, and Q-on/off, w/ interlock / fault-monitoring from yer show-control... ie (my 'vision'):

Name:	KTP_NanoPod Comp.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	21539

....but till-then.... I do think this is the smallest... ...And, once again, proof that it doesn't really matter if you 'have a small controller' it's what comes-out the business-end, that-counts... ...since this puppy commands over 45W of green, it 'feels no shame, at showtime'...

Now, back to the Dave and Aij-channel...
    peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    I was in Melbourne for that weekend and got to catch up with Dave and Aijii and see it in action.

Here's some photos of it setup and in action

Attachment 21438Attachment 21437Attachment 21442
    Attachment 21441Attachment 21435Attachment 21439

Attachment 21436Attachment 21443
    Aijii lost his lighter

Attachment 21440
    Dave admiring his handiwork

and some video

It was a really clear night after it had been raining so there was very little crap in the air, so the beam shots look rather average from the front but it goes to demonstrate the raw power of this thing seeing the beams from behind.

All very impressive

BTW, guys thanks for letting me tag along

Troy

Hey Guys,

Great looking work!

Hi Troy, what a treat to see the beast in action, thanks for the pics.

"Aijii lost his lighter" ?

By the look of that pic it should have read...

"Hulk has lost his lighter! this makes Hulk Veeery Aaaaangry!"

The Hulk lives!

Have you guys got a name for this beast?

I think hardware in this weight class needs a name. Have you chosen a name for your second unborn creation? maybe you can foster a bit of rivalry between the siblings so the strive to pump out more photons

I think "Big Birtha"s quite fitting (if you understand the WWI meaning).
    This space for rent.

i think we can call this one daves mum. she's pretty big...

www.lasershowparts.com

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ... any other tacklers of this 'record'? I suppose someone could come-up with all this on a single-chip, with micro-switches all on a mini-PCB, with the 26-pinner,
    straight-into the ALE, with inputs to micro-relays, for Lamp-on, Current hi/lo, and Q-on/off, w/ interlock / fault-monitoring from yer show-control... ie (my 'vision'):

Name:	KTP_NanoPod Comp.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	21539
    I don't think that will ever happen. For the simple reason that any 'Allens' could purchase a Scope off the shelf, rip out nearly everything, plug in your magic box and light up some dope.

The reason most documentation on Laserscope systems remains underground with a few specific people is because that also keeps the control of who builds them with the very same people. This thing is a dangerous piece of kit when not used properly (and that's not 'it can give you a nasty burn'-dangerous, but cut-through-less-than-solid-object-dangerous) so there's a reason we want to keep a lid on information about 'scope conversion,

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    I don't think that will ever happen. For the simple reason that any 'Allens' could purchase a Scope off the shelf, rip out nearly everything, plug in your magic box and light up some dope.

The reason most documentation on Laserscope systems remains underground with a few specific people is because that also keeps the control of who builds them with the very same people. This thing is a dangerous piece of kit when not used properly (and that's not 'it can give you a nasty burn'-dangerous, but cut-through-less-than-solid-object-dangerous) so there's a reason we want to keep a lid on information about 'scope conversion,
    Are we talking "look Mom, no hands" dangerous?
    This space for rent.

No, more like "I think I know what I'm doing with lasers and I'm always careful when I turn on my laserscope and OH MY GOD I'M BLIND!" dangerous.

Or, "Let me just power this up so I can tweak the OH MY GOD I HAVE A HOLE IN MY HAND!" dangerous.

Ask Hayden Hale (Senior technician with Pangolin who has years of experience) about his 4th degree electrical burn (you didn't even know there were 4th degree burns, did you) that he received while working on a laserscope for the taping of a TNA wressling show at Universal Studios in Orlando, Fl. If someone with that kind of experience can still get horribly injured by a laser like that, I don't want to play with one.

Sure, they're bright, but they are also Q-switched, which means they are many, MANY orders of magnitude more dangerous than a CW laser. (Peak pulse power on a Laserscope is up into the 10's of kilowatts.)

They are well and truly frightening machines.

Adam