Thread: Strange behaviour

Unhappy FlexmodP3 Strange behaviour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSV_h...e_gdata_player

Link
    Very strange if i have not totally missed something wich would not be the first time although.
    Last edited by rfourt; 11-02-2010 at 07:05.

it is very hard to tell how you have your amp meter hooked up.

1. are you sure your amp meter is in series with your load?

2. are you running any sort of load? i may be wrong here, but if you arent hooked to anything, there isnt going to be any significant current draw and therefore not going to get any useful current adjustments.

Many others may disagree with my methodology here but what i do (and i have yet to have a single problem) is i turn my gain all the way down *BEFORE* hooking any power or diodes to it. Just turn the gain like 20 turns down to be safe.

Hook up the circuit and the laser diode with your amp meter IN SERIES with the diode. power it up and start adjusting the gain. I have done this at least 5 times and it has worked fine every single time.

These diodes are (in my opinion and experience) MUCH more robust and rugged than 405 and 650 diodes that pop if you just look at them wrong.

Also, i have noticed that even with adjusting the FM3's, you really should have them heatsinked well. Again, its just my opinion, the heatsink that comes with the FM3 is not enough to keep it running efficient.

can you show us a little closer how your FM3 is hooked up?? even just a rough sketch drawing

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	20701
    Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    it is very hard to tell how you have your amp meter hooked up.

1. are you sure your amp meter is in series with your load?

2. are you running any sort of load? i may be wrong here, but if you arent hooked to anything, there isnt going to be any significant current draw and therefore not going to get any useful current adjustments.

Many others may disagree with my methodology here but what i do (and i have yet to have a single problem) is i turn my gain all the way down *BEFORE* hooking any power or diodes to it. Just turn the gain like 20 turns down to be safe.

Hook up the circuit and the laser diode with your amp meter IN SERIES with the diode. power it up and start adjusting the gain. I have done this at least 5 times and it has worked fine every single time.

These diodes are (in my opinion and experience) MUCH more robust and rugged than 405 and 650 diodes that pop if you just look at them wrong.

Also, i have noticed that even with adjusting the FM3's, you really should have them heatsinked well. Again, its just my opinion, the heatsink that comes with the FM3 is not enough to keep it running efficient.

can you show us a little closer how your FM3 is hooked up?? even just a rough sketch drawing

-Marc
    Thnx for your answer.

About putting the multimeter in series and connecting a load with an diode i have tried. and i get the same result. I used to do this myself to try the old FM2 drivers.. although i used a regular green Diode.

Although in the video my setup was connected like in the picture above (the pink thingy is the multimeter).

one turn on the gain pot gives me about 1-3mA. wich means i would have to turn the pot a few hundred times to reach a descent current. :P wich is not possible as they are 25turners if i recall correct.

This behaviour is really really strange. We have tried to adjust the balance but almoust the same behaviour there. We maxed the balance and maxed the Gain and we could get about 1.2A as max fromthe driver. with 2 445diodes in pair. We also tried in series and it gave us the same 1.2A at max.

With only the multimeter we can get out about 200mA at gain max.

i can also add that turning the bias seems to work like normal and i can turn it up alot just by half a turn on the pot,

Hi, have you connected the - of your 'ilda' power supply to the - of the main power supply? I could only see one wire coming from the modulation power supply. This would cause this issue.

Yep.. that was it.

THank you. slapped my face alitle bit for that one. although reading directly from the manual gets you litle confused as there are no "M-" on the driver.

No offence but for noobs like me when it comes to tiny electronics perhaps an schematics drawing toghether with the manual would do the trick.

Thnx anyway.. all working now.