Thread: Outdoor-ish shows in the UK

Default Outdoor-ish shows in the UK

So I've met a bloke who's shown an interest in me doing a laser show in his outdoor tent - along the lines of

I'm reckoning this still needs a whole bunch of work done for CAA approval and the like as it's still effectively outdoor?

Also, I'm wondering if my 1W RGB projectors will cut it, and also my little hazer which is more than adequate for an indoor ~300 capacity venue will presumably not be nearly enough?

Never done outdoor before, so any advice would be welcome.

You only need CAA if you are doing unterminated beams - if you have a target to catch the beams then no CAA.
    As for 1W RGB im sure you will see it to some degree but think of light as the same as PA - as soon as you step outside the power needed steps up. The hazer will not cut it - you need to pray for crap weather or get in a serious fogger. The bottom line with outdoor is that the conditions are infintely variable and so you cant count on anything.
    Get a bit of mist and the 1W will look stunning! If its clear it wont show up.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Only need CAA for outdoor unterminated beams.
    (i.e. not needed if you were to project onto the underside roof canopy ONLY.)

You'll need a jiggawatt of power minimum;
    (Seriously; >5W to make it look good)

Any hint of a fart of wind, and your hazer will literally be pissing in the wind...
    (Heavy Fogger + Big Fan = You'll just about get away with if the wind ain't too strong.)

Good luck!

Edit: Rob, you beat me too it! Snap!
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

I have lit a saddlespan exactly the same as that (but with closed back) and one of the members here did the laser with a 1.3W RGB. Whilst visible, it wasn't outstanding. For fog, he used a large diameter fan facing up at the front of the stage and used 2 Antari 1500w foggers blowing constantly over the top of it. Created enough fog into the required area.

If you look at my Facebook album,(search Adam Norton, I've got a laser in my profile pic, and albums are public) you'll see some pics of the setup. It was certainly much darker all round than the pic you posted. I think you may struggle with ambient light if that is the setup they are planning on.

You will need a minimum of 2 heavy duty smoke machines. ZR20 sized is a minimum, something like F100's would be better.

I have "got away" with 1/2 watt green before, but there was very little other lighting in use. Looking at that stage, I reckon you will need to double that as a minimum and 2 watts would probably be better. RGB laser would need even more power.

agree with all thats been said you need a lot more power than 1.3watts of white light and more fog.

when you go outside lasers turn into tiny leds.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Do a youtube search for 'Gooseberry tree lasers and fireworks'

That was my 2 x 1.3W RGB's completely outdoors but on a relatively still night, with a single fogger and 18" fan directly underneath. Not much ambient light so it just about worked.

bear in mind that thats nearly 500mW of 532, 400mW of 640 and 600mW of 445. If your 1W RGB is using 650 or 660 red I would suspect the green may only be 150mW or so, which probably will not work.