Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mac OS X : using Pangolin softwares?

Quote Originally Posted by grovenstien View Post
    So for all of us mactards out there is there any chance Pangolin might port some software to OSx?

Its funny all these people posted that they run windows on OSx via VMware, Parallels and Boot Camp to use Pangolins products.

Perhaps porting live pro livequick etc to OSx may prove worth it for Pangolin, or would the cost of the port be more than the expected revenue?

Interesting.
    i love how this question was just blatantly ignored by pangolin themselves on this thread do you feel that love, fellow mac people? i just signed up here simply to find out (yes i did a search)/follow up on support for a true mac-native solution (because, being told to run parallels/vmware/bootcamp/et al is a poor work around when you have a great rock-solid platform already, and just lacking proper software support.. that who ever writes eventually for would be wise to do so). am i the only one rather dissappointed that if you have a mac, you're basically being told it'd be better if u didn't have one by being told to go emulate windows ??

and the view point of it being in our best interest to only have one platform choice for lasers is pretty short-sighted, no ? if anything, what pangolin should be doing, is scrambling to get a decent product to the (mac) market, seeing as how they would have a huge advantage, with virtually no real competition on the platform. a platform that is very popular with graphics folks, the not too distant cousin of many people here heck.. i would endeavor to throw something together basic but i don't have enough experience with ILDA to know what i/people should/would expect..

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Default Bah humbug.

Quote Originally Posted by cynikal View Post
    i love how this question was just blatantly ignored by pangolin themselves on this thread do you feel that love, fellow mac people?
    Actually, I do believe Bill answered the question a couple of replys above, infact he requested anyone with experience coding for OSX contact him.

I do believe that Pangolin are genuinely interested in Porting to OSX, but it does take time, effort, and most of all money.

I also think the demand needs to be demonstrated.. you look at the amount of machines running XP.. spares more available and easier to replace. not to mention the hardware is cheaper. (ie: my mac pro cost £1600 about 3 yrs ago)

IMHO porting to OSX would be great! - I use QS on my Macbook Pro, and (unlike others) use Oracle Virtualbox, running an instance of WinXP - it runs like lightening and I don't have to give it more than a GB of ram to get good performance.

i just signed up here simply to find out (yes i did a search)/follow up on support for a true mac-native solution (because, being told to run parallels/vmware/bootcamp/et al is a poor work around when you have a great rock-solid platform already, and just lacking proper software support.. that who ever writes eventually for would be wise to do so). am i the only one rather dissappointed that if you have a mac, you're basically being told it'd be better if u didn't have one by being told to go emulate windows ??
    Welcome to the forum !

I personally don't think that running virtualisation or similar is a "poor work around" - if your so bothered by it, perhaps you should port a open source program to OSX.

Pango have been developing for Windows for a long long long time, it's not as easy as you may imagine to turn about face and port to another platform.. especially when your talking from windows to a Unix variant, running a Xwindows variant.. it's chalk and cheese.

and the view point of it being in our best interest to only have one platform choice for lasers is pretty short-sighted, no ? if anything, what pangolin should be doing, is scrambling to get a decent product to the (mac) market, seeing as how they would have a huge advantage, with virtually no real competition on the platform. a platform that is very popular with graphics folks, the not too distant cousin of many people here heck.. i would endeavor to throw something together basic but i don't have enough experience with ILDA to know what i/people should/would expect..
    I agree and disagree I don't think they should be "scambling" - certainly a soft approach with some market research may be required.

I also think you'll find that cross platform support for *all* laser show software is lacking.. I can only think of a few open source projects that aim to run on non M$ platforms. (and in this case the target is Linux).

Don't get me wrong.. I'd love to see all Pango software ported to other Platforms. (Linux included.. actually preferred) but I think you've missed the point entirely.

Of all companies I've ever dealt with, Pangolin have been the most responsive to my needs - heck I've even begged Bill once to support old skool 80's hardware!

Anyway.. welcome to PL my friend.. hang in there and get a copy of Virtualbox it works just fine.

Cheers,

N.

hey thanks.. i should have looked more carefully as i must have missed the part about askign for help with os x, i'll shoot bill a PM about coding, see if i can help ? would love to be able to contribute something back to what seems like a great community of laser folks here.

as for porting an open source one, i was actually looking LFI player.. it looks like it would take some time and i confess i don't actually have a projector yet to test it with :-\ and although the opinion seems to be they are the junkfood of lasers, i was gonna pick up a laserworld system on ebay as a xmas present to myself (and to break into the hobby) *ducks*

btw from what i lurked/read, i does seem pango does a great job with support and i'm sure if they put their resources behind a mac-native product, it would be difficult to dethrone them in that platform (hence my suggestion to scramble .. macs are getting very big in the entertainment/design industry.. the popularity of windows, in my opinion, is just a remnant of bill gates more monopoliziing times (and because of/with that, a self-perpetuating lack of software for other platforms).. oh and i too happen to like linux very much as well (i use it at work every day).. just happens that mac is my off-duty platform of choice (because as you said, it's unix based)

That make me thinking of a bad thing which happens when I run Parallels Desktop (v6), and use the mouse (or trackpad) to do an X or Y move, in Quickshow or Livepro, the move function is just unusable because it seems amplified by a 100 factor.

I believed it was only Pangolin products, but then I tryed Maxon Cinema 4D and the problem was there too.

This don't happen when I run native Windows with Bootcamp, so I guess it's a Parallels problem. Any other already noticed this?

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    That make me thinking of a bad thing which happens when I run Parallels Desktop (v6), and use the mouse (or trackpad) to do an X or Y move, in Quickshow or Livepro, the move function is just unusable because it seems amplified by a 100 factor.

I believed it was only Pangolin products, but then I tryed Maxon Cinema 4D and the problem was there too.

This don't happen when I run native Windows with Bootcamp, so I guess it's a Parallels problem. Any other already noticed this?
    Now that you mention it I have the same thing happening under Fusion. Also rotations are affected.
    Haven't really played around to much but will make sure I write a list of the findings.

Cheers
    Rich

Well, I hope we will find a solution to this... Otherwise that would mean the virtualization would be unusable to lasershow use, especially when targeting beams

Default Erm...

Perhaps my posts are invisable, or people prefer to try and use the software they *paid* for but I use Virtualbox on OS X http://www.virtualbox.org/ with a copy of XP running inside it.
    My Macbook Pro has 4Gb of ram, and I assign XP 1Gb only, the Virt machine boots in around 5 seconds (yes.. 5 seconds) and quickshow runs perfecly well within it.

No pauses, no driver issues, no weird behaviour, all is good.

Virtualbox is opensource and you can DL it from the link above.

AFAIC, Virtualbox is the best solution to this, until a QS port is released.

Give it a try, you may be surprised!

N.

Thumbs up

hey thanks.. i should have looked more carefully as i must have missed the part about askign for help with os x, i'll shoot bill a PM about coding, see if i can help ? would love to be able to contribute something back to what seems like a great community of laser folks here.
    Yeah.. we are a great little community

as for porting an open source one, i was actually looking LFI player.. it looks like it would take some time and i confess i don't actually have a projector yet to test it with :-\ and although the opinion seems to be they are the junkfood of lasers, i was gonna pick up a laserworld system on ebay as a xmas present to myself (and to break into the hobby) *ducks*
    Check out http://www.linux-laser.org/ (if you havn't already)
    I guess nothing wrong with Laserworld if you know what you're getting and don't expect amazing things.

btw from what i lurked/read, i does seem pango does a great job with support and i'm sure if they put their resources behind a mac-native product, it would be difficult to dethrone them in that platform (hence my suggestion to scramble .. macs are getting very big in the entertainment/design industry.. the popularity of windows, in my opinion, is just a remnant of bill gates more monopoliziing times (and because of/with that, a self-perpetuating lack of software for other platforms).. oh and i too happen to like linux very much as well (i use it at work every day).. just happens that mac is my off-duty platform of choice (because as you said, it's unix based)
    I couldn't agree more! I'd love to see Pango native on my machine, even cooler would be if it ran on both my MBP and my Linux Laptop!

Anyway.. welcome again to our humble lil forum.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    Virtualbox is opensource and you can DL it from the link above.

AFAIC, Virtualbox is the best solution to this, until a QS port is released.

Give it a try, you may be surprised!
    N.
    Just downloaded and installed, but I can't find a way to virtualize the Windows7 OS partition I use with Bootcamp (only creating a new partition), do you know if this would be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by sbk View Post
    Just downloaded and installed, but I can't find a way to virtualize the Windows7 OS partition I use with Bootcamp (only creating a new partition), do you know if this would be possible?
    i don't have virtualbox, but per this thread, http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...art=45#p118867 you can create a image file from the raw device that corresponds to the bootcamp partition, just make sure that the /dev/disk portion of the command matches your system (you can use the hdiutil pmap command (you may need to run it via sudo) to verify that's the right parameter for your commands).. if anything PM me if you need clarification on anything