16. You may not vote on this poll
  • concrete intrest , funds at the ready

8 50.00%
  • willing to smoke a CC for atleast one diode

8 50.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Intrest in 635nm diodes....

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    The 445's have little trouble pumping out a full Watt and they're rated for 0,5W as well.
    Just curios, where did you get factual data that the 445nm diode is rated @ 0.5W?

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    Just curios, where did you get factual data that the 445nm diode is rated @ 0.5W?
    I may have been confused with another diode (possibly a 500mW 405 Nichia).

But still the numbers don't add up, if the diode's maximum rated current is 1,27A , with a slope of 960mW/mA, that would give it a rated output power of just over 1200mW (or at least a Watt, taking about 100mA of threshold).

Either that, or it has a ridiculously high lasing threshold of 750mA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Either that, or it has a ridiculously high lasing threshold of 750mA.
    That is the published numbers. Threshold current typ. .75A.

Do any of the tire kickers know there are lensing options that you know not? Aspect ratios of more than 400:1 are capable of being collimated well. And no you will not get a link.
    Last edited by MechEng3; 11-20-2010 at 08:17.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    That is the published numbers. Threshold current typ. .75A.
    It is quite surprising that the multi-emitter arrays have 19 emitters and are capable of outputting 20W. That either means the diode is deliberately running under spec in the single can version (maybe because of cooling concerns), or they are using a completely different die for the arrays.

In any case, I guess we'll find out when these are in the hands of some PL-members. $280 is too much of an investment to make for 'destructive testing', but that's the way we found the operating limitations of the 445's.

Maybe I read this wrong----

"960mW/mA, " What mA ? there seems a number or dec point missing there. I'm not even hoping for 20 Watts --- maybe 0.750 Watts???

HMike

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Mike View Post
    Maybe I read this wrong----

"960mW/mA, " What mA ? there seems a number or dec point missing there. I'm not even hoping for 20 Watts --- maybe 0.750 Watts???

HMike
    Sorry, I forgot to type a point there. Of course it's 0,960mW/mA (or W/A).

The rated maximum current for the diode is stated as 1,27A, you do the math.

What confuses me are the multi-emitter arrays that happen to emit 20W with only 19 diodes. You only need 'division' to find out that each diode needs to pump out at least 1,05W to make that work.

I just did the math and 0.96 mW x 1.27 Amps = 1.22 Watts -- not 20.
    Something on this still seems wrong here but 1 Watt is more reasonable.
    1.22 Watts still seems high along with the 0.96 mW figure. I'll wait and see.

HMike

If there are 19 emitters, it might be possible to get near 20 Watts if it has a bar arrangement like an FAP or other but with a Cmount configuration, "I don't think so. But I could be wrong now"!!! (Monk)! Damn, It's cold out there.

Rule#1 for GB's. "If you don't have the cash, Don't post the trash".
    Last edited by Hemlock Mike; 11-20-2010 at 17:27.

Default diode spec

i am confused if this diodes threshold is 750ma why does it show it putting out half its power at 750ma the pdf is the same diode minus the fac as that optional fitment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20101025001252_WSLD-635-500m-C.pdf  

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    i am confused if this diodes threshold is 750ma why does it show it putting out half its power at 750ma the pdf is the same diode minus the fac as that optional fitment
    That's interesting. The graph (probably from a test sample) shows a threshold current of half an Amp instead of 750mA, which IS consistent with 250mW of power @ 750mA.

I wouldn't be surprised if these diodes can be pushed harder than we would expect from the papers. 0,75W or 1W of 635nm would mean a 'go' for me.

Here's a little experiment.

I had one of the smaller Laserwave 532 modules that just didn't perform and no amount of tweaking or alignments made it produce any worthwhile power. Time for a heart transplant i thought.

I removed the crystals and associated optics from the table and swapped the 808 for the 635 diode. I moved the original 532 collimating lens to the rear of the table and found that it collimated the diode pretty well, so I went ahead and sprinkled on a garnish of prisms and whisked with a 2x telescope.

I then cooked the stew at 1.1A for an hour or so, tweaking the garnish and generally fannying about like some kind of obsessed laser tweaker until I had a tasty beam flavoured with 525mW and 1.6mrad divergence

I'm hungry now.

Last edited by Doc; 01-02-2011 at 06:38. Reason: nob 'ed
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.