Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • concrete intrest , funds at the ready

8 50.00%
  • willing to smoke a CC for atleast one diode

8 50.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Intrest in 635nm diodes....

Have you seen a 1 watt CNI 635nm laser? The owner would not let me look inside...still under warranty. The beam was looking like 7mm X 4 mm. It was 2 diodes combined from investigation with a PBS. It could be improved upon insomuch that the beam would fit the scanners with minumal losses. These lasers are being made and sold day in and day out. Hence their usage. This is a project....an option...for those who choose not to invest with $$$$$ in a red laser or days making a handfull of diodes to get at something useful. It is simply an option based on $ vs. wavelength and a white balance. It is a funny thing that when the<447nm diodes showed up with a horrid beam data , they are in use a lot with very decent beams. The die is a bit larger here, but.......I am not looking for a razor thin beam.....just some real power. Even at one diode's power level it will be a great help with color balance now with lots of blue available.
    Last edited by MechEng3; 11-06-2010 at 10:48.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Yes I have seen them. From the CNI page the specs are 8x5mm beam with <2.5mrad and M^2<20. The 445's while having a much smaller emitter are already hard to tame. For 1W power it seems to me that knif edging 4 LOC's is the more promising way with an M^2 of 2 and possibly cheaper.

Andreas

Default beams

well if lasever can get a 6x6 @ 1.5mrad out of a 635
    i think these can at least match or beat it,
    looking forward to seeing what comes from the tests
    but i would be super happy to see a 5x5 @1.5mrad ,that would suit my setup fine

Default die size

would one with a smaller 50um emitter do a better job ??
    http://www.arimalasers.com/attach/pr...095825_doc.pdf

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=MechEng3;170104]Have you seen a 1 watt CNI 635nm laser? The owner would not let me look inside...still under warranty. The beam was looking like 7mm X 4 mm. It was 2 diodes combined from investigation with a PBS.

End quote.

Where would you like the zip file of the photos sent? I have a set from walking a friend through a repair. However, Mike, I would be wasting your bandwidth. Cmount, no fac, 2 element Galilean telescope. Cmount on TEC.

One thing we need to watch, since these are extremely multimode beams, what definition of divergence are you using? Outer angle, or 80% power points?. Full Half Maximum, or some generic definition? I've learned to ask these questions.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-06-2010 at 16:15.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    would one with a smaller 50um emitter do a better job ??
    http://www.arimalasers.com/attach/pr...095825_doc.pdf
    That is better, but it does not buy you a factor of 2 improvement. If the graph on that data sheet is true, that diode is somewhat better then many of its peers.

Steve

Have seen most of the planned diode offerings....that means you can't get them now. These are in packaged trays....amongst other nice toys.

OK the specs are as follows...SLD-635-500CM
    center wavelength @ 25deg C 635nm typ. 630min/ 640max
    total spectral width FWHM 1nm max 2.5nm
    Po 500mw
    total divergence FWHM 8* X 8* w/FAC wo/FAC 40* x 10*
    slope efficiency .96w/amp
    operating current 1.27 amps @ 2.2 vdc
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    total divergence FWHM 8* X 8* w/FAC wo/FAC 40* x 10*

FWHM = Full width Half Max sounds dubious with "VERY Multimode" properties !

Anyone got any pics ?

Cheers

Sure it is multi mode...Same diode a lot of over seas laser manus use....most without the FAC lens though. This is a bonus for a decent beam. Now if the nay-sayers can come up with a better solution and price....well lets hear it. If not I may begin something to help out a bit....without selling body parts to fund a project.

that 20W diode sounds nice