16. You may not vote on this poll
  • concrete intrest , funds at the ready

8 50.00%
  • willing to smoke a CC for atleast one diode

8 50.00%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrest in 635nm diodes....

Post Intrest in 635nm diodes....

I am looking into a POSSIBLE GB on a few 635nm diodes. I have some information from the manu to me today. These are "C" mount packages with fast axis lens installed onto the diode. This is the best price I have received to this point and am considering trade with this company. The diode specs are as follows....

Part Number Specification Quantity Price

LD-635-500m-C-FAC 635nm/500mw/C-mount/FAC Lens/100um*1um emitter size

1 to 10pcs USD280.00 50pcs USD250.00 100pcs USD225.00 1000pcs USD165.00

The beam can be tamed with DrLava's lens or the anamorphic prisms with very usable results in concert with your favorite collimator. I am awaiting a test unit. The price seems more than fair to me compared to a lot of other avenues that seemingly always end up here in the 635nm region. The 1 watt diode has very wide emitter and will be a struggle to tame for scanner use. I won't mind a square beam as long as the power is there. They also have 19 emitter packages {20 watts}...the hybrid lens to tame it for scanning use is around $585 each lens array. The diode price has not been disclosed to me at this point for the big guy.
    These diodes are in stock at the manu and can be shipped out any time...I MAY consider a GB for sure if there are at least 10 interested parties, willing to split the shipping costs from the manu to me, and to their hands. Lets see where this goes as they are waiting on me at this point as to a decision of how many diodes I want to get. I think the power curves data and the MTBF is being sent with the test unit via snail mail. These come from a rather large wafer manu in you know where.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    I am looking into a POSSIBLE GB on a few 635nm diodes. I have some information from the manu to me today. These are "C" mount packages with fast axis lens installed onto the diode. This is the best price I have received to this point and am considering trade with this company. The diode specs are as follows....

Part Number Specification Quantity Price

LD-635-500m-C-FAC 635nm/500mw/C-mount/FAC Lens/100um*1um emitter size

1 to 10pcs USD280.00 50pcs USD250.00 100pcs USD225.00 1000pcs USD165.00

The beam can be tamed with DrLava's lens or the anamorphic prisms with very usable results in concert with your favorite collimator. I am awaiting a test unit. The price seems more than fair to me compared to a lot of other avenues that seemingly always end up here in the 635nm region. The 1 watt diode has very wide emitter and will be a struggle to tame for scanner use. I won't mind a square beam as long as the power is there. They also have 19 emitter packages {20 watts}...the hybrid lens to tame it for scanning use is around $585 each lens array. The diode price has not been disclosed to me at this point for the big guy.
    These diodes are in stock at the manu and can be shipped out any time...I MAY consider a GB for sure if there are at least 10 interested parties, willing to split the shipping costs from the manu to me, and to their hands. Lets see where this goes as they are waiting on me at this point as to a decision of how many diodes I want to get. I think the power curves data and the MTBF is being sent with the test unit via snail mail. These come from a rather large wafer manu in you know where.

Interested pending results of the sample test diode.
    leading in trailing technology

Default price

the price is higher than you stated in the 638nm thread
    still the price is not that bad still cheaper than building 500mw of 640,
    i am interested pending test results

one piece is worth a try

possibly more, depends on your test results

thanks for doing this, regardless of outcome

I'm interested pending tests.

Just a thought; wouldn't losing the micro FAC lens option and adding post collimation correction prims be better for possible knife edging (I'm thinking 2+2 diodes joined by cube for 2w)?
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

If you remove the FAC lens....then you will have divergence of roughly 8 x 40. Then you could employ the prisms to correct the fast axis alone. Then still a very large beam. The whole idea here is to have a more square beam output from the diode. Yes a simple lens will collimate the beam nicely as is. Say near 6 x 4 mm beam. Not bad....but if the beam is compressed with optics you will obtain a much smaller beam, at a small loss, but being able to keep most all of it on the scanner mirrors. Combining 2 of these with a cube would work out pretty easy....4 would be a challenge to keep the beam diameter small. I would abandon the knife edge process with this...it is 1/2 watt as provided. It would be better to build a pair of dual modules and externally combine them for simplicity's sake using waveplates. That is not the issue though...putting higher levels of red into our hands is the goal. How as to one would build a really mean red is up to him or her. I had thoughts along the lines of 2 diodes with a pbs to get near the one watt level. Then adding 1 watt of 660nm with the Semrock dichro. That should make a level of red to match 1 watt sub 447nm and a pair of 400mw 532's combined / PBS to get near a nice white balance. Then again if you fiber launched these...power levels would be scalable to a much higher output in multiple watts. Ball lenses are cheap to launch it...the price of the launch/mounts is what kills you. All I want is 2 diodes. Just thought of trying to share the opportunity here. I have done many hours of e-mailing, phone conversations, and spending way too much time over this and here is what I have settled for....carefully weighing the balances of time to design and build vs. buying outright. If this is not a good thing.....then you can spend countless hours investigating all avenues and no reply e-mails. It has been very educational and what a venture. There are red lasers out there...mega watt units that run in CW. You just have to look for them a few months. Even the 20 watt bricks have an off the shelf lens to put the beam at <3 mm square.... prividing you don't get sticker shock. Just offering another option for red....nothing more or less.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Default thsnk

Thank for possibly doing a gb
    Either way I would like to get at least one of these to play with
    if a gb does not happen though will you share supply info
    As I would like one or two,

And much appreciated too

I reckon I need >2W at <640nm to balance things up.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Hmm, be interesting how good you could make a dual 635 1W module as far as beam specs go. 1W of 640 is pretty expensive still and i reckon these would be a fine alternative if they can be tamed a little.

Regarding collimation of this diode: conservation of the beam parameter product (asumed 8° uncollimated divergence) dictates, that you can get for a 5mm beam a minimum divergence of 2.8mrad (full angle). For smaller beams the divergence scales up accordingly. And thats only the physical limit, collimation optics tend to make it worse. So for Laser show use I doubt that these broad stripe emitters are useful.

Greetings
    Andreas