Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing RGB for white

You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

Default ummm

Excuse my french, but fucking perfect.

Me and a friend have made quite a few apps in our time, this is great to have a fiddle with.

THANKYOU!
    Regards,

Aidan

Quote Originally Posted by ElGordito
    (...) written in delphi, not my strongest language but I could port it over to Java or C# and see where it goes. (...)
    Maybe you want to contact Robin from linux-laser.org. He just finnished (more or less) the Popelscan source translation to C++ (on Linux)...

I sent you the email via PM.

Cheers
    Christoph
    Popelscan is still alive - check out here!

I would love to get my hands on an IR filter to test my Green Laser to see if I got what I paid for and not mostly IR. Any suggestions? I have a second hand Coherent laser meter so I have that covered.
    Hey Elgordito!

What about using a piece of glass? Glass is just about opaque to IR, right? (Or at least close enough that it shouldn't matter - if you get widely differing numbers with and without the glass then you know you've got IR leakage.)

The other solution would be to dial your lasercheck wand down to 1064 nm and see what it registers... Although with the 523nm interference, I don't know what the results would be.

Hey... What about using a prism to split out the IR, and then hold the lasercheck wand just to the side of the 532 nm beam. If you still get a reading, then you KNOW it has to be IR, and that you've got leakage...

By the way, I have a friend here who deals in surplus stuff and I was rumaging through his warehouse the other day and noticed a couple of Coherent 90s, a 70, and a 300. Not sure of the exact part numbers, but I know he will be looking to sell them if anyone is interristed. They are HUGE though.
    Where are you located? Anywhere close to the southeast? I might be interested... (Shipping on those monsters is going to be a killer, so if you're on the west coast, I don't think it will work, unless the lasers are super cheap!)

Adam

PS: Welcome aboard! (I'm new too...)

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    I would love to get my hands on an IR filter to test my Green Laser to see if I got what I paid for and not mostly IR. Any suggestions? I have a second hand Coherent laser meter so I have that covered.
    Hey Elgordito!

What about using a piece of glass? Glass is just about opaque to IR, right? (Or at least close enough that it shouldn't matter - if you get widely differing numbers with and without the glass then you know you've got IR leakage.)

The other solution would be to dial your lasercheck wand down to 1064 nm and see what it registers... Although with the 523nm interference, I don't know what the results would be.

Hey... What about using a prism to split out the IR, and then hold the lasercheck wand just to the side of the 532 nm beam. If you still get a reading, then you KNOW it has to be IR, and that you've got leakage...
    Glass is opaque to IR? Wow, I had no idea. I'll give it a try.

As far as the meter goes, the one I have is older and cannot be tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    By the way, I have a friend here who deals in surplus stuff and I was rumaging through his warehouse the other day and noticed a couple of Coherent 90s, a 70, and a 300. Not sure of the exact part numbers, but I know he will be looking to sell them if anyone is interristed. They are HUGE though.
    Where are you located? Anywhere close to the southeast? I might be interested... (Shipping on those monsters is going to be a killer, so if you're on the west coast, I don't think it will work, unless the lasers are super cheap!)

Adam

PS: Welcome aboard! (I'm new too...)
    Welcome aboard right back at ya. I am on the east coast (in Virginia), I talked with my buddy yesterday and he sold off the whole lot to another friend! Man, he didn't even tell me. But he is in the surplus business and I guess if you get a deal going you just do it. Oh well.

Thank for the suggestions!

Hey... Virginia! Another East Coast Laser Hobbyist! This is looking more and more promising.

It seemed that for years the only people that had anything to do with lasers were either in Europe, or Australia, or on the West coast. So it's great to learn that there are a few of us on this side of the country. There's a thread in the "Meet-n-Greet" forum where we're trying to see if there's enough interest to justify setting up some sort of "laser geek conference"... We might just be able to pull this off!

As for checking for IR leakage, if your meter can't be tuned for different wavelengths, then I'd say your best bet would be to use a prism. Send the beam through the prism and then get back away from it a few yards. Now check the power of the refracted beam. Then move the meter to the side and see if you can pick up the IR beam. (You'll see the power drop to zero as you get out of the green beam, and then at some point away from the beam you'll see the power will rise again if there's significant leakage.)

Another (easier) way to do this would be to simply check the beam power as it first emerges from the prism (at this point the IR would still be close enough to the green that you'd be picking up some of it in the green beam) and then check the power again from across the room. At that distance the IR beam will have separated from the visible one and you will only be measuring the 532 nm part. If the two measurements are significantly different, then you know you've got IR leakage.

Oh, and about my earlier comment about using GLASS as a filter... Forget it. I forgot for a moment that wer'e really talking about NEAR-INFRARED. Glass is still transparent (more or less) to the 1064 nm IR in a DPSS laser. So a glass plate won't filter it out. (Now, if we're talking about 10,640 nm from a CO2 laser, then glass is certainly opaque!)

Adam

Hey Buffo,
    I was checking out your web site. Man you have a nice collection! Currently, I have no optics. Got to find neat things like difraction gratings and prisms, etc.

I left a message in the Meet and Greet thread. Sounds great. I might be able to sneak out to the meet while visiting the in-laws. ;-)

Elgordito;

I picked up most of my optics from either Meridith Instruments, CTR Surplus, or E-bay. You'd be surprised at how cheap some of that stuff is! (Of course, you often end up buying a whole box full of junk to get one or two pieces that you actually want, but those other odds and ends can come in handy later on...)

I really need to update my website... The information is nearly 4 years old by now. Sigh - time, always time! But once I get this new projector running I'm planning on writing a review of sorts, so that's as good a time as any to re-vamp the website.

I'll look for your post in the meet-n-greet section. I just found out that Marconi is in Florida, so maybe he'll be interested in our get-together as well!

Adam