Thread: Considering buying RGB 1W projector from eBay seller "discopartylighting"

Default Considering buying RGB 1W projector from eBay seller "discopartylighting"

Dear Laserists,

So the Pangolin Flashback 3 QS arrived (yay!) and I have enjoyed a week of very fun times with my 100mW 532nM Green laser (Dune Graphic Green II) in my garage and performing a show at a warehouse party last night.

The bug has well and truly bittern now and so I'm seriously considering buying a 1W RGB projector with analogue modulation ...

Ahhh yes, this hobby is becoming quite all consuming!
    ; )

I'm about to click "Buy it now" on this eBay listing:
    http://tinyurl.com/24d5tq6

I thought best to drop the good folk here at PhotoLexicon a post before shelling out just over $1000AUD for this projector.

It looks pretty good to me spec-wize (however I'm still a noob) although it would be better to have scanners capable of 30K rather than its 20K scanners. Price is within my budget too. I'm wandering if the scanners could be upgraded with something better (DT-40 for example) at a later stage. Are there standard sizes for scanner mounting hardware?

Has anyone dealt with this eBay seller before, "discopartylighting"?

Or ... would I be better off paying a PhotoLexicon member to build me a projector and have some piece of mind? I'd love to be building my own projector from scratch (certainly it would be better for my knowledge and will allow easier progressive updates) however I lack the machining/measurement tools and the know-how to do the job properly.

Anyhow !

At the moment I'm just enjoying my love affair with the Pangolin FB3+Quickshow control ... wow ... amazingly featured software for the money I've paid!!! Really happy with it - the quality of my projections from Dune Graphic Green II is looking fantastic especially when compared with the shaky playback from its internal built-it shows.

Cheers and thanks to those who spare the time to post a reply,

JaseFOS

OK ... I see there are no immediate objections. I'm going to give this one a shot. I'll report back once the unit arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by JaseFOS View Post
    OK ... I see there are no immediate objections. I'm going to give this one a shot. I'll report back once the unit arrives.
    Don't do it!

I bought one, there was a problem in sound mode / demo mode / DMX control mode with the blue channel which was on when any of the channels were on. It worked fine under ILDA, though. I also suspect that there is insufficient cooling in the unit. The beams are nice and bright, however, and the white balance is good. Worst aspect is how unhelpful they were when I reported the out-of-box fault. I asked for a replacement to be sent (I'd bought the projector because another one was awaiting repair and I had a show to do) but they refused; also they refused to repair. They would only consider a refund. And they had taken an age to ship the laser to me so I didn't have time to muck about. So I left negative feedback and they refused to have any more dealings with me

I went through eBay customer support and eventually got £100 back for my troubles.

Perhaps you should consider the LaserKing analog unit discussed in this thread:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...animation-show

I had also seen that ebay auction, but the LaserKing unit seems to be of higher quality, other PL members can attest to this, with:

Green 200mW @532nm Analog 10K
    Red 800mW @650nm Analog 10K
    Blue 300mW @ 450nm Analog 10K
    With 30kpps

USD $1,615

Actually, strike what I said above, I bought my laser from "djpartylighting"

Hey SmokeAndMirrors,

Thanks for chiming in ...

Quote Originally Posted by smokeAndMirrors View Post
    Don't do it!
    I bought one, there was a problem in sound mode / demo mode / DMX control mode with the blue channel which was on when any of the channels were on. It worked fine under ILDA, though.
    I'm primarily interested in ILDA mode however Sound Mode is useful for those times where I wish to travel light and just feed the laser metronome ticks from my Traktor DJ software (gives very sharp, tightly syncronised shows even with confusing beats!).

I also suspect that there is insufficient cooling in the unit. The beams are nice and bright, however, and the white balance is good.
    If cooling was insufficient I guess I could modify the unit to improve this.

Worst aspect is how unhelpful they were when I reported the out-of-box fault. I asked for a replacement to be sent (I'd bought the projector because another one was awaiting repair and I had a show to do) but they refused; also they refused to repair. They would only consider a refund. And they had taken an age to ship the laser to me so I didn't have time to muck about. So I left negative feedback and they refused to have any more dealings with me
    That is a disappointing end result. Although you've since written back stating that the seller that I'm looking at dealing with is different to your case, I'm hoping I don't end up with similar resuls.

I went through eBay customer support and eventually got £100 back for my troubles.
    Better than nothing I guess!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioVisualizers View Post
    Perhaps you should consider the LaserKing analog unit discussed in this thread:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...animation-show

I had also seen that ebay auction, but the LaserKing unit seems to be of higher quality, other PL members can attest to this, with:

Green 200mW @532nm Analog 10K
    Red 800mW @650nm Analog 10K
    Blue 300mW @ 450nm Analog 10K
    With 30kpps

USD $1,615
    That's definitely the spec I'm hoping for. I'll get in touch with this vendor. From my lurking about on this forum it seems Red requires substantially more power than the other wavelengths in order to balance so 800mW seems to be a good place to be.

Actually I'm finding the power of the beams of my 100mW 532nm single laser to be enough - I don't need too much power - 1.1W total is probably overkill for my purposes. My greatest priority is having analogue modulated RGB colour and 30K scanners and hopefully adjustable optics inside which will allow me to progressively upgrade modules to higher power as budget permits.

Thanks for the lead to this seller. I'll check it out!

Incidentally I'm sorry I didn't go ahead with purchase of the older version FB3 - I was really keen to have the feature set of QS2 straight away with the newer generation hardware.