Thread: Dr Lava's correction optics.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Dr Lava's correction optics.

Short review. They rock. I just did two sets of with 445. Schweeeet little beam when your done.

Steve

Pics, specs, used collimator?

What did you use to hold the optics?

I did a preliminary test just hand aligning them on a flat surface in front of the laser. The beam was excellent. I have not managed to devise a permenant mounting method yet.

Collimator is a Dr Lava collimator.

AR coats are very high quality, very little loss, no wings, no issues with ghosts.

Steve

I agree, they rock

we even managed to correct knife edged diodes with them (but what a pain to align)

wish mine would show up. sent him a few emails/pms etc, the money left my account forever ago, and tbh the project they were supposed to go into is long delivered.

Alignment is not that bad, you may need a few thousanths of shim stock to correct "twist" in the mounts if you glue the lenses in a hurry. I agree that machined mounts are a good idea. Getting the alignment right takes time, however compared to correction prisms, which I used in IR yag lasers, I found it easy. You do need to be able to rotate the diode about its optical axis and have a sliding adjustment of some sort for the second lens. Thumb and finger resolution is enough, I used a few wooden Q-Tips as a push sticks while gluing.

Compared to aligning a laser cavity, or intracavity optics, it was a piece of cake. I do not live that far from Herr Dr Von und Zu Lava and I went up and watched him do one assembly, after I did my first. When doing the first lens, the 445 image on the wall "tells" you what you are doing wrong, and once you do the rear optic correctly aligned, the front is very easy. He has a document telling you what to look for, and silly me, I of course skipped the instructions.

I was very happy with my first results. After I drove up for a lesson it was even better.

OK, Lunch is over, back to work.

I might post a pic when I have some time. This is NOT my projector, so images will be limited.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-08-2010 at 09:56.