Thread: slotted MM1 and filter brackets no milling machine required

Default slotted MM1 and filter brackets no milling machine required

Every time we add stuff to the projector the cost goes up take MM1/ filter Brackets. not a real big expense but by the time you pay shipping you are looking at around 20 bucks each If you do not own a milling machine it very hard to make slots. I came up with a way of doing it for 8/32 slots not sure about 1/4 20 I have not tried this method to make that size. Ok you need aluminum angle bracket you can get that at home depot not real cheap but reasonable. you need a metal cut off saw or a miter saw (just change the wood blade out to a metal cutting blade) and a drill press.
    Now measure about 1/4 inch in from the end of the stock angle bracket cut down but not all the way leave about a 1/4 inch or so at the bottom. now measure over another 1/4 inch and mark do not cut yet!!! then measure another 1/4 inch and make another slot and so on until you have made all the brackets you want. still do not cut through any of them turn it around and do the same thing to the other end of the bracket. Dont cut through any yet now take an drill bit very close to 8/32 set the angle bracket up on a drill press vice so it is vertical to the drill bit on the drill press line it up and drill it down to the end of the slot do the same thing for both sides of the angle bracket check your Allen screw to make sure it slides nice up and down. Now you are ready to cut the brackets. Oh one thing I forgot you need to take into account the width of the metal cutting blade which is just under 8/32s at least on the one I am using when you measure you need to account for that where you are going to cut the brackets so both sides of the slot come out even this is just to make them look nice and uniform I have screwed a few up, no biggie they function fine. here is a pic of the final product after some filing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0921.JPG  

functional 16 characters
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Default Been there done that

Well, I just got my T Shirt and plan on wearing it a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    I have screwed a few up, no biggie they function fine. here is a pic of the final product after some filing.
    Good Job, I made quite a few, but I did it the hard way... for closed brackets I drilled holes on each end (after many other methods), filed it enough to fit a jigsaw blade in, cut both sides, dremeled the sides, then filed down (lots of filing). Yes mine are ugly but they work. A tip I had from DZ was to use chalk board spray paint for a nice black finish. I also think high temperature stove paint would look nice.

Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Default Re brackets

The brackets you made look real nice I tried the filing routine man that was not a lot of fun the vertical drilling method to open the slot up is the fastest but you need to be real careful to get it dead on or you will break the bit and thats no fun at all. I think 1/4 20 would work if you indexed up instead of going right to the 1/4 20 bit. I need one of those milling drilling and lathe machines Harbor Freight sells for around 800 bucks next time I have 20 percent off coupon a may consider one could make some pretty cool stuff with that.

now people see how i justify the effort / price of such a simple bracket. Even with a vertical mill they are a PITA.

http://www.microlaserlabs.com/angle-...orts-c-59.html
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    now people see how i justify the effort / price of such a simple bracket. Even with a vertical mill they are a PITA.

http://www.microlaserlabs.com/angle-...orts-c-59.html
    I agree, next time I need one I would rather buy it but I needed those instantly for PHXMicroLEM... at least it would match the other MML hardware (including the breadboard). - I had to add, yes I did use baling wire today, no duct tape or bondo though

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 11-11-2010 at 16:08. Reason: baling wire!
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Default Miller still a PITA

Yes Agreed they are a pain to make any way you slice it but I needed them quick and necessity is the mother of invention that was easier than some other methods. There is no easy way with this stuff unless you have a buddy who is a Machinist or can dumpster dive at Newport or Thor labs. I saw some real nice ones for around 15 bucks on lasershowparts site but when I saw the shipping Wow it was more than the part would have been like fifty dollars as I recall.