Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Industrial Arts Lumia

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Industrial Arts Lumia

The story:

Ok, I had some 6 minute clear epoxy mixed up for building a projector for a client. I was waiting for some optics to bond in place. I have microballoons for mixing with glue for model airplane stuff. It hit me to try the microballoons as a diffractive optic, they are about the right size. Microballoons are small latex, polystyrene, or glass spheres for making some glues stronger and lighter. A bottle of the "white" polystyrene variety is six dollars at a local hobby shop.

Take a glass or plastic disk, prep it as a lumia wheel. Mix a small amount of rapid, clear epoxy as you normally would.

Add just a tiny amount of microballoons to the epoxy and stir, while avoiding adding air bubbles to the epoxy.

If you have added enough microballoons to the epoxy that you can see a change in transparency or color, you have added too much.

Carefully smear the mixture onto the prepared lumia wheel.

Doctor blade the epoxy to a level, flat, thin film. Allow to cure.

Enjoy a lumia wheel that has two textures. One that you would get from the normal variations in film thickness, and in the background is a two dimensional , some what uniform, fine grained, diffraction pattern of "gridded ripples".

Sadly, one four ounce bottle of microballoons is probably enough to make four 3" lumia disks for every member of PL. But it is a great effect.

Labrats can try common Ti02 powder, although at 200-300 nm, it may be too small.

Steve

Ok, I had some 6 minute clear epoxy mixed up for building a projector for a client. I was waiting for some optics to bond in place. I have microballoons for mixing with glue for model airplane stuff. It hit me to try the microballoons as a diffractive optic, they are about the right size. Microballoons are small latex, polystyrene, or glass spheres for making some glues stronger and lighter. A bottle of the "white" polystyrene variety is six dollars at a local hobby shop.

Take a glass or plastic disk, prep it as a lumia wheel. Mix a small amount of rapid, clear epoxy as you normally would.

Add just a tiny amount of microballoons to the epoxy and stir, while avoiding adding air bubbles to the epoxy.

If you have added enough microballoons to the epoxy that you can see a change in transparency or color, you have added too much.

Carefully smear the mixture onto the prepared lumia wheel.

Doctor blade the epoxy to a level, flat, thin film. Allow to cure.

Optional step, some epoxys will heat above their glassy transition point with gentle heat from a hot air gun, while this step accelerates curing, but weakens the bond, most will flow to a smooth glassy state on cooling before they harden. This can be used to get a smoother surface, but the heating must be brief and not oxidize any thing. Avoid any fumes.

Enjoy a lumia wheel that has two textures. One that you would get from the normal variations in film thickness, and in the background is a two dimensional , some what uniform, fine grained, diffraction pattern of "gridded ripples".

Sadly, one four ounce bottle of microballoons is probably enough to make four 3" lumia disks for every member of PL. But it is a great effect.

Labrats can try common Ti02 powder, although at 200-300 nm, it may be too small.

Steve

needs moar pictures

Thank you Steve, it is added to the list of stuff to try!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Default THANKS!

Like sugeek, I am saving all of the lumia ideas to try them all. Keep them coming!

Thumbs up ...is there an ((echo)) in here? ;)

Hi P'Fessor -

Brilliant. Thanks for the idea... will also post some pix of similar 'lenslet lumia-wheel' ideas, for public-consumption, in-support of your findings, asap....

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    ??? Why is this 'sad'? well, Kudos and Thanks, anyway, and will-post some supporting ideas, when I'm able...

ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

If you like this one, try dryer sheets after use. Nonwovens are not so good. However the thin wispy woven ones do a starburst.

Steve

??? Why is this 'sad'? well, Kudos and Thanks, anyway, and will-post some supporting ideas, when I'm able...

Its sad because its a waste of materials.
    I'm weary of sending powder through the mail, but it seems a waste to pay 6$ for a bottle of microballoons to do one lumia seems a waste.

Steve

hey P'fessor...

I'm weary of sending powder through the mail,
    Why be 'wary', just use a white envelope? ...I'll come visit you in the klink...

but it seems a waste to pay 6$ for a bottle of microballoons to do one lumia seems a waste.
    Ah, I see... well, there is always the 'film-canister' method: 1-lumia-wheels-worth (~1g?) in a FC, for $1. + S/H, and 10% of any gains-over-cost go back to PL...

...just a thought.... I know, it's lame...
    peas.
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I'm weary of sending powder through the mail, but it seems a waste to pay 6$ for a bottle of microballoons to do one lumia seems a waste.

Steve
    You just need to get you a big ole' balsa wood model plane kit -
    THAT will help use up the microballoons!

(As if you need another money-pit hobby...)
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-12-2010 at 10:18.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....