Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baloon popping

Default baloon popping

Hi guys, I pulled out my 120mw Greenie this evening because I was reading where folks were souping up there laser pointers hitting 30 and 40mw and were able to pop baloons.

I thought, cool I can impress the wife, if a 30mw laser would pop a baloon, certantly, a 120mw laser would be instant popping as if from a light saber. Really cool! :twisted:

Well it is such a stupid thing to be disapointed in, but here I sit. While my laser will pop the baloon, it takes several seconds concentrated in the same spot.

I checked the output power with a borrowed Coherent 210 power meter and I am reaching close to 150mw.

So I ask ya, am I simply expecting too much? I mean my laser is 3 to 4 times more powerful, shouldn't it be more... um.... distructful? Is that a word? :lol:

Hi there !

Many people say that they pop a ballon easy as THAT !
    But the truth is that the DOT from your laser need to be TINY as possible, and the ballon must be BLACK or any other dark colour !

And it`s not true that a 30mW laser pop a ballon !!!

I got a 60-80mW laser, and i must consentrate very much to pop a ballon with it !!

I also got a 240mW laser, but the beam is so "big" that popping a ballon with it is almost impossible !

At about 2' I can pop baloons with my 100mW green. But it's not instant and it only work with dark colored baloons.
    You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

It takes 300mW with decent divergence to pop balloons reliably and scarily
    at a reasonable distance But it still won't pop clear and white balloons.

Agreed... I can pop red, orange and pink ballons at 1-10 feet away from my 100 mw DPSS green. (Lasever unit) I can't even think about doing that with my Argons... (They're all single-line blue, at 488 nm, and only 40-50 mw.)

If I use a lens to focus the beam, I can pop other color balloons, but never white ones...

Also, with a lens, I can light a kitchen match with my argon. But my DPSS unit will light a match without a lens! (Cool!)

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    Agreed... I can pop red, orange and pink ballons at 1-10 feet away from my 100 mw DPSS green. (Lasever unit) I can't even think about doing that with my Argons... (They're all single-line blue, at 488 nm, and only 40-50 mw.)

If I use a lens to focus the beam, I can pop other color balloons, but never white ones...

Also, with a lens, I can light a kitchen match with my argon. But my DPSS unit will light a match without a lens! (Cool!)
    I am soooo gonna try that tonight... Too cool.

I've got a picture of the match-lighting trick on my website:

http://home.sc.rr.com/buffo/optics.html

Like I said, with the argon's I need to use a lens, but my 100 mw DPSS lights a match without a lens in less than a second!

http://home.monet.no/~bjornaro/diverse/

click the file: Film.wmv 31-Dec-2004 00:56 935k

That is a clip of me fire a match with my handheld DPSS 150mW

Liteglow;

You might want to hold the match a little farther away from the head of your laser when you do that. Some of that smoke and sulfur is probably getting on your optics at that close range!

Still - a very cool video!

Adam

That reminds me of a picture I saw in an ancient issue of National Geographic.

"Cigarettes taste better when lit by laser" was the caption, and they were using a large argon unit...