Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on $1000 RGB

Default Need advice on $1000 RGB

I am in the market for a projector in the $1000-$1300 range, but I need advice on which. I would like it to be ~1W and analog modulated if possible.. Are cheap chinese scanners the only options for that price? I've been looking at this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Analogue-Mod...290482363543QQ

Is that a decent choice? Can something similar be had for cheaper elsewhere?

Thumbs up

Crazy! I just joined the forum to ask the exact same question (same price range, and for mobile party applications).

So far I've found quite a bit of chinese lasers that I don't trust, and some Laserworld stuff that the posters here seem to be opposed to... http://cgi.ebay.com/Laserworld-Laser...ht_5656wt_1139

Some that I'm getting quite interested in are sold by Motionloops.com or by them on E-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Saber-7-RGB-V-RG...#ht_2218wt_920

The problem is I can't tell if these are reputable companies and if the lasers actually perform up to the specs they are advertising.

So if any of the seasoned members here could recommend some LEGIT RGB or RGBV lasers with good specs please do so!
    Last edited by Tuk; 11-12-2010 at 20:43.

Default Oh the stories I could tell you...

If you are looking at motionloops you are most likely in the USA. If that is the case, request that you be provided with a copy of the letter which states that LaserWorld has APPROVAL to introduce their lasers into US commerce. An "accession" number does not constitute an approval. In the US you should only purchase from someone who can provide you with this documentation because otherwise the chances are very good that you will be buying an illegal laser that you will not be able to get a variance to use. This letter will have the seal of HHS (dept. of health and human services) and specifically state that the lasers "...may now be introduced into US commerce." Anything else is just fast talking. I would also point out that never having had a variance rejected as they claim is not the same as having a variance approved... which is unlikely given that their own variance appears to have not been approved as of yet. You can read both their application and a letter that says they are not yet approved here: http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...DA-2009-V-0160.

Whoops.

Secondly, with regard to the larger point of a 1W RGB, if you had asked that question at that price point six months ago everyone would have laughed at you. The only reason it is marginally possible now is that blue has become much less expensive but that does not mean that the quality of these projectors has gotten any better. An acquaintance just bought one of these units and the red went out within the first five hours of use. His "warranty service" instruction was to... I swear to God... "strike it on left side with great energy, or kick also good, and it should work." Oddly enough it did work, but then died again.

If you spend a thousand dollars on a Class IV laser projector you are probably not going to get a good one; certainly not one fit for renting or real production. You are almost assured to get one that will work for a few months but beyond that... it is a crapshoot. Maybe it is not a bad place to start for a hobbyist outside of the US, but inside the US it is a whole different experience. Welcome to the boards.

I personally am not looking for a 1W laser necessarily, I just want to get the MOST laser for $1000. So if $1000 means a 150mW green that actually outputs 150mW of light, then I'll go for that, despite there being plenty of "150mW" lasers for $50-100.

Are there any companies/dealers in the US that you would recommend? I'm not a hobbyist and don't want to try to build one

I agree with XLaser on this one.

You have to ask what you're getting for a $1,000.

I know nothing of this company, maybe they buck the trend, but speaking generally:

a Laserwave 300mw green will cost you $600 (source CT Lasers).

Very cheap scanners probably @ $200.

Cheap case and fittings probably @ $300-400.

That already takes you over the $1,000 mark for a green alone using some pretty cheap components (the laser aside which is good quality).

Add on a Laserwave 650nm red (closest I have a price for is 800mw = $800)

The there's the blue.

Then you need dichros.

Then a larger case for an RGB.

..and you probably start to get the picture that corners are often cut on cheaper units.

What you have to watch out for is some companies over estimate their power outputs or measure them without IR filters or over drive small laser units to give higher power output which gives output at the expense of life.

I'm not saying this company does this, but just beware.

All companies are out to make a profit so if they can make something for less than the cost of even a few of the components then ask yourself how is this being done?

Also, to the original poster, don't forget, if you buy from outside the EU then customs will hit you with some pretty high import taxes.

For one final comparison if I was going to build 1 Watt of RGB using similar specification components to those above, this would be an approximate cost using quality components (not high end, just quality):

Note Laserwave price list is an old one so will have changed a little with exchange rate.

350 Euro - Kvant Case
    526 Euro - 300mw Laserwave 532
    1042 Euro - 500mw Laserwave 640nm (no similar power 650nm listed)
    540 Euro - 200mw Kvant 445nm (1 of few manufacturers making 445nm)
    282 Euro - Dt30 Scanners
    120 Euro - Dichros & Mounts
    100 Euro - Case fittings and switches and boards
    100 Euro - PSU

There's probably things I've forgotten here as I'm not a system builder.

But all in I reckon thats around 2,600 Euro ($3,559 US) on the component list above without any assembly costs.

I don't need a top quality laser, I'm not planning on using is professionally or anything. White-light's list is f.ex WAY overkill for my use. I don't even mind the ebay laser being ~30-40% underspec, as long as it works.

But what is a better option of laser? Do you know any good companies that makes cheap lasers with custom specs?

Check out NRG lasers

Regardless of which manufacturer you ultimately choose, I would highly recommend spending a little extra on analog-modulated lasers. TTL gets old really fast.

OK so I was able to find http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...t_11255wt_1139 which, although double my price range, does appear to have amazing specs for the price.

Does anyone here have this particular model? Is it totally freakin' sweet or what?

I also have some Q's about safety, since this is a pretty powerful unit. Would it be safe in a small venue, say mounted 12ft in the air (i.e. 6ft above the crowd) and pointed into the crowd? Or is this way too powerful for crowd scanning? I guess if it's too much power I'll have to look into buying 2 smaller RGB units in the $5-600 range, which may not even be worth the money.

Look s fine so long as you realise by the time you've dialled back that 1W of 445 so it doesn't wash out all the other colours, you're not punching 2.2W anymore.

I have 600mW of 445 next my 430mW of 532 and I have to dial the blue back even then.

As a realistic 1.5W projector its ok though, and you have power spare in the blue if you want to upgrade. Also bear in mind that the red will be a flashlight, and about as bright as 400mW of 640.