Thread: RGB 2.5W audience

Laser Warning RGB 2.5W audience

Hello,

Products Name: M-445RGB2.5W
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Hq%252BZ4%253D

I'm thinking of buying this laser rgb 2.5w ... projection room is 2.32m Height, 3m wide and 7m long.

The height of the laser, would be 2 meters.

Is it safe for my audience, it is possible to reduce power with Pangolin QUICKSHOW Laser Show?

Many thanks.

Exclamation

Sounds like it is a bit smaller than the boat club house we use for FLEM; might be a bit hot for that small an area if you are not careful. Honestly, if you have to ask, you aren't going to know how to be careful enough in my opinion. 2.5 watts is a lot of power; a shutter is one thing on there I don't see listed as a feature... Being careful would be to question that missing detail. I also question if that is a class 3b laser... thought it should be class 4 but I might be wrong.

Hanging around here will definatly get you thinking on safety so you are in the right spot. You could probably build or have built something with similar power but higher quality parts for that price and learn a whole lot more about the equipment. Where are you located at?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Thanks for your opinion.

I'm in Spain.

.....as I have seen, indicates class3b laser in description.

It is possible to reduce the power by software Pangolin QuickShow?

I have seen that there is a menu option to adjust the beam.

Quote Originally Posted by sanofi View Post
    Thanks for your opinion.

I'm in Spain.
    Hi Sanofi, and welcome to Photonlexicon. It's good that you've found us and are asking questions, eye safety is paramount and it's good that you are taking this seriously.

.....as I have seen, indicates class3b laser in description.
    A laser rated at 2.5 watts would almost certainly fall into the class 4 catagory. This laser is quite capable of burning things, especially your eyes!

It is possible to reduce the power by software Pangolin QuickShow?

I have seen that there is a menu option to adjust the beam.
    You are talking about beam attenuation mapping (BAM's). You should never put laser safety totally in the hands of software, even if that software is *very* reliable. Computers crash, other unexpected things happen, and that can lead to unexpected high power beams being emmited into the audience. You can mitigate this by fitting a scan fail or other safety devices directly to your projector.

There are specific regulations regarding audience scanning within the EU. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of the specific document at the moment. I have no doubt someone will be along soon who can provide a link to the said documentation.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

As Jem said on BAM's.

Only way to be safe is to calculate MPE levels using a power meter and some maths. There's no such thing as a safe laser out of the box once you're over about 5mw.

For informational purposes only (As Jem Said don't rely on these to save your skin!):

BAM in QS:

Top of the Main Page > Settings > Projection Zones > Beam Attenuation Map Tab > Agree the Safety Notice > Draw your mapped area for each Zone / Zones at whatever power level is calculated as safe.

Finally, ensure you have a scan fail device in case of a software crash and ensure you've drawn the BAM for every active zone as its zone specific.