Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Gall of some people.

Heya Aidan:

I think you missed the point...

Yes there is free hosting all over the place however that would require me to actually handle that file. I would have to bleach my hands and burn my keyboard after I was done, no idea what I would have to do to the hard drive here that temporarially held the data.

It was not a "lazy" comment. It was a "gah, i feel dirty" comment.

Not sure how much control you have over your site, but coulnd't you re-direct the incoming request from E-bay to another site that hosts either the goatse image, or some other equally distasteful image? That way you woulnd't have to host it locally, and you'd avoid the need to dip your keyboard in bleach!

Some guy did this with his site when a major burger chain ("Fudruckers") hot-linked to a flash-version of the video game "burgertime" that he had on his site. Yeah, they were clueless enough to deep-link directly to the game and put it on the restaurant's site as if they had wrote it. Lamers...

The guy redirected all requests from the Fudruckers domain for that flash-file to a site that had pics of a slaughterhouse... Caused quite a stirr, if memory serves. (I read about it on Slashdot about 4 months ago...) Ah... Ok - here's the link if anyone is interested:
    http://developers.slashdot.org/artic.../09/03/0511211

Still, you ought to be able to do something similar, eh Spec?

Adam

Yes: That is completely doable.

One problem: two sellers on ebay use the gallery images here(with permission) for their ebay adverts, a blanket redirect would mess with them pretty badly.

For the time being I do it "low-tech" and just replace the images. heh

Hey Spec;

Just wondering if the guy ever issued you that "formal letter of apology"? At the very least, has he stopped hotlinking to your site?

Adam