Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy cheap 20~30k ILDA laser projector

you dont wanna know i was orinally planning on buying a 50 dollar projector on DealExtreme. then asked on LPF if it was something good, then they said at least do something with DMX.
    So i searched for dmx and asked wich ones where the best for under 125 dollar. then they said i needed real galvo's, not steppers. and if possible a ILDA. Then i searched for that, and now you say i need to spend even more.

I must draw a limit somewhere. 450 dollar is the edge for me, just a simple show to sync with a song is nice enough. And if i can make some simple text.

Like I said - go to a LEM first and see what is out there. Then decide if you want to spend any money or not.

Trust me on this: I stepped my way up the ladder, and I *wasted* a lot of money because I couldn't justify the next level of performance. But I was always disappointed with what I could do, and several times I considered giving up. Once I finally saw a decent RGB projector in person though, I was totally and completely hooked.

I think you need to see what the state of the art is, before you commit to anything.

Adam

Will i have an >hour time there to spend with creating a show and viewing, fixing it?
    I have seen enough laser shows in my life and always visit one if its close. I love laser shows. Thats for sure. Since i was 5 my interest where in lasers.

i want to make a laser show on one of my fav hardstyle songs.some kaleidoscopic effects, some tunnels and beams at some parts, and a kind of thank you text at end.
    I dont wanna be a movie maker...
    If you then still think that ebay stuff is to crap even to start with, i will give it up.

Edit: holy shit your post count must be fake.

Buffo's true post count is up for debate...

To restate what others have told you already -
    the budget you have allowed is NOT going to get you a decent projector that will let YOU create the custom effects you are looking for.

At the best, you'll be able to get a low-powered, one or two color DMX-controlled "projector" with low-speed (prone to flickering) "scanners" (probably stepper motors) that lets you playback a fixed set of patterns stored in the onboard controller card, and not much else.

That is NOT a good representation of what true computer-controlled laser projectors are all about!!

This forum is all about helping folks get started in the right direction, and that includes NOT recommending buying equipment (especially on Ebay) that usually turns into a total waste of money.

As others have stated -
    why don't you update your profile to include your location, and we might be able to steer you towards a laser enthusiasts meet that can get you aimed in the right direction.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Just a quick reply as I'm heading out the door.

I can offer you a 350 mw TTL RGBV ILDA compatible laser well within your budget.

50mw 532nm, 100mw 405nm, 200mw 650nm

check my youtube channel for 4 different vids of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvqHkaSIa8 (then just look at my other vids)

10K scanners standard, you can upgrade your scanners to 25K and still be under your $450 budget.

I'm having trouble uploading pictures of the unit atm, & gotta run, so that's it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioVisualizers View Post

I can offer you a 350 mw TTL RGBV ILDA compatible laser well within your budget.

check my youtube channel for 4 different vids of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvqHkaSIa8 (then just look at my other vids)

10K scanners standard, you can upgrade your scanners to 25K and still be under your $450 budget.

I'm having trouble uploading pictures of the unit atm, & gotta run, so that's it for now.
    Please be sure to include the description and price for a controller that will let him stay within his budget and still get the 25K performance.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by AudioVisualizers View Post

No disrespect but thats RGV not RGBV as there's no blue in there only 405nm violet which is poorly visible except at high powers.

Also the original poster should be aware that TTL limits you to 7 colours even with blue.

I'm not telling him not to buy this, only to be aware there are limitations at this budget.

Fact is as others have said you're going to struggle to get a good RGB for less than a few thousand $.

I too 2nd Adam's (Buffo's) advice to attend a LEM as for the cost of a meeting, for probably around $10, there's no cheaper way to test lasers and see what they can do.

Plus you'll get to talk to loads of people who can both show their builds and offer advice as well as demonstrating projectors and control systems for you all at no cost and with no bias as they're not trying to sell you anything.

Thanks for the offer do tell me more

Default hello

Hey borggueenx nice to see you made it over here to PL.
    It sounds like you have seen what you want and are now looking to build or buy a unit.
    But to get what you have seen in those shows at that price is very pushing it.
    i have gone threw most of the low end hoops.
    I went from speakers to small motors to steppers then to 12k 15k and 20k galvos and now embarking on a okay set of 30ks.
    I will say for beam shows that are in a simple non abstract format i had a great time with steppers.
    And my 12 and 15k galvos were kinda the same.
    20ks will give you okay text,
    30k will get you alot and right now its not much more.
    Galvos will take the most money, like others have stated.
    170$ for a set of 30k galvos
    But if you just want to get your feet wet dont go RGB.
    go for a single color like 445nm.
    This will let you find out if its what you want.
    The other colors can be added later and give more depth but to have fun making the shows and testing the output and creation process.
    but you will need to buy software, these projectors are next to crap without the good software.
    i found this out the hard way. i thought my scanners were bad or something but it turned out my ilda creation was off due to bad software.
    but get a set of galvos and a single laser with some sort of modulation line. and test them out.
    it took me a long time to go RGB.
    my current setup is about 700$. (no software included)
    But i have made everything in my scanners i could from heatsinks, drivers, and optic mounts.
    you should be able to get a pc controlled projector single color for under 500$
    But that unit listed above might be a good base.
    Over the time of having slowly buy new and better parts one at a time.
    But i would say go for better galvos i dealt with the below 20k galvos and wish i would have skipped them. (even my 20ks are not great there okay, but with the 30ks so cheap i would recommend going for them)
    It was very depressing after spending hours only to already be at the limit of the hardware.
    Some of my old testing is biased due to at that point i did not have good software, you might be able to do more but its best in this case to go with something that will last a long while.

sorry kiyoukan but i want to use software to play with different effects AND colors.
    I found 2 more chinese projectors though.
    http://www.bigtang.com.cn/eT008-SD.htm

and:
    http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...RK:MESINDXX:IT