Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want to buy cheap 20~30k ILDA laser projector

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    White-Light i can also sigh...
    Understand that i have a limited budget, and i even made it larger because g-ad payment...
    Fine. We get that you have a limited budget. Why can't *you* get the point that your budget is too low for what you are asking for?
    See the very first post of this topic. i am on a budget, and i need a BUDGET laser projector.
    See the replies to your first post. They all tell you that your budget is UNREALISTIC for what you want. Sure, you can buy some piece of junk off e-bay, but it won't do what you want.

It is *RUDE* to ask advice and then argue with the people who took the time to offer you the advice. Just because you didn't get the answer you wanted doesn't give you the right to be a jerk about it. You think the people here are lying to you? Why would they do that?

Many of us have been in your shoes before. That's why we're offering you this advice; we're warning you to not make the same mistake we did. But you're not listening...

At this point, go ahead and buy whatever the hell you want. And when you figure out that it's a piece of shit, you'll come here asking for help, and people will tell you that YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO THEM WHEN THEY TOLD YOU NOT TO BUY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Will that make you happy?
    I dont want to sound like a idiot who does not listen to your experiences.
    And yet that is *EXACTLY* what you have been doing.

We have offered alternatives. We have given you suggestions. But you aren't listening. And frankly, several people are tired of it. So go ahead and do what you want. We really don't care anymore.

Adam

White-Light i can also sigh...
    Understand that i have a limited budget, and i even made it larger because g-ad payment...
    I said I wasn't going to post again but I will one last time.

I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic. I know what its like to have no money. I'm sat here with a shiney new Pangolin FB3-QS system and no laser to play it on for that very reason.

Best I can do is simulate shows in the preview window!

So you're not alone in having a lack of finances.

However, I'm just trying to help you avoid the mistakes we've all made as Buffo said. Problem with cheap projectors is quite often they don't make their stated powers and quite often the components inside them aren't of lasting quality. That means you buy and often within a few months you find yourself starting to realise you need to replace pretty much everything inside. Then you realise that probably the case isn't large enough or of thick enough aluminium to provide a stable base for replacement parts - thermal expansion can be a problem for alignment if the ALU is too thin and often OEM lasers are diodes in small heatsinks rather than commercial laser modules which are much larger. So you realise you need a new case as well as everything else. Progressively you realise that everything in the projector needs upgrading if you want to achieve the kind of shows you aspire to, and suddenly then you realise that the money you spent was wasted and you've ended up having to buy everything expensive that you didn't want to buy in the 1st place (!) and you're going to have rebuild an entire new projector from scratch, albeit in stages, as there's pretty much nothing worth salvaging if you want to achieve quality and reliability!

Now maybe you'll get lucky and find the laser fairy who'll sell you a quality Euro 3,000 projector for Euro 300. Somehow I doubt it, even the tooth fairy screwed me!

The point I tried to make above is if someone can offer you an RGB projector ie case, PSU, 3 Lasers, drivers, DMX board, ILDA breakout, sound to light board, cables, scanners, dichros for less than the cost of a good branded single Green laser module (not a projector but laser alone), then you have to ask what gives?

They're not selling them to do you a favour but make a profit so somewhere big savings are being made.

Buy all means by a cheap one as a toy to play around with. But do so with the knowledge that if you're wanting to do build shows which with ILDA aspirations it sounds as if you are, within months you'll probably want to sell it for a loss and upgrade as I doubt powers and scan quality will satisfy you and thats assuming no reliability problems. If you have serious show aspirations even for home use, then I still think you'd be better off finding out if you like lasers by playing with other people's local to you at no cost to yourself other than the petrol taken to get there. If you do, you can start to slowly plan saving for a quality laser. If the hobby's not for you, then you've lost nothing.

Finally if you must buy cheap after all of this, go with ones that others have found decent rather than with unknown stuff from ebay.
    Last edited by White-Light; 11-22-2010 at 06:48.

I already contacted some dutch members about if i could see some projectors in action.
    Maby il go see one then. But still i would only know if this is a hobby for me after playing with one for a week or so.
    That lasts me one option i guess -> stay away from this hobby.
    Because my budget is unrealistic, and Everything from china is crap...

I bought laser pointers from dealextreme a year ago, all were crap over time. But now i buy quality from lpf buy section and never regret...

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

...That lasts me one option i guess -> stay away from this hobby. Because my budget is unrealistic, and Everything from china is crap...
    I'm sure we'll all support you in your decision.

Oh and buffo...i am not rich...i have to put a hobby aside if i need the cash for a hobby like is. So....again...i want you to recommend me junk/crap/whatever. Just tell me the best of all the crap. I already know, and understood from you and other ppl, that my budget aint good enough for quality. Fine, il buy that later, even if that means selling my shit projector for half the money or less.
    And calling me rude, and a idiot for asking what ive been doing since post 1....is just....well, being rude yourself.
    How can i see all the software, shows, animations, by meeting someone, and know if i grow tired of it after a week or month? I need something to start. Everybody always needs something to start with.

Anyways thanks for all the advice il take it into considiration at buying
    Someone already gave me a chinese seller, said one of the best of chinese. Thanks. Anymore opinions? Thats what i search
    Editops double post

Definately my last word (i've only re-posted these last 2 times to try and help you further).

If you really can't afford more and it means trying the hobby or not then buy cheap. Just be prepared to throw your money away and start again in some short time in the future as you're almost certainly going to want to start over again if you like the hobby.

Definately my last post in this thread, so good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Definately my last word (i've only re-posted these last 2 times to try and help you further).

If you really can't afford more and it means trying the hobby or not then buy cheap. Just be prepared to throw your money away and start again in some short time in the future as you're almost certainly going to want to start over again if you like the hobby.

Definately my last post in this thread, so good luck.
    Idont understand why you dont want to post futher here...but never mind about that. This is advice what im talking about. Because yes i am on a budget and only ready to give more money, if its my thing.
    Im prepared to throw money away lol, but not without getting experiences and intel about the hobby
    Thanks for understanding my budget.

maybe rent a projector? if you got members close enough give them 200$ and play with it for a week.
    That will tell you if its right for you.
    But good luck and have fun.
    i have know you will like what ever you buy, just when you want more dont even think about upgrading it. just start fresh. and sell the old.

I think the best advice is to just start with a single colour. This way you get better components than with an RGB.
    You can then upgrade as money allows but you start from a reasonable point.

I started with a single 100mW green unit. I now have 2 1.5W RGB's but they are still (just!) in the original cases and up until recently one had the original scanners.

And i learnt so much along the way...

The joy of lasers is not just the beams and graphics (beams, beams!) but its also knowing that your baby is actually 'your' baby, and not like anyone elses, and you understand it unlike anyone else in the world, because you put it together and you understand it, and it (she?) understands you.... (there's a quote from Full Metal Jacket would fit right in here....)

Idont understand why you dont want to post futher here...but never mind about that.
    I'm not being rude, I just don't believe there's anything more constructive I can say.