Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Want to buy cheap 20~30k ILDA laser projector

Thumbs down Enough already...

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    Oh and buffo...i am not rich.
    What makes you think I am? What makes you think any of us are? You gave us a budget and we told you that for the amount you wanted to spend, you should consider getting a single-color projector that you could either upgrade in the future, or sell for a decent price later when you are ready to spend the money for full color. (In fairness, a 3 color red-green-yellow rig would also be affordable - just barely - at your price point.)

But you replied that you didn't want to do that, and basically DEMANDED that we recommend something that fit your budget. Sorry, but I am not going to recommend a piece of junk in a public forum - not to you, or anyone else. Other people read these threads, you see, and they are smart enough to heed the wisdom posted here.
    i have to put a hobby aside if i need the cash for a hobby like this.
    No you don't. You just need to listen to the very experienced people here who told you that if you can't afford a decent RGB rig, then the next best thing to do would be to buy an RGY projector or a green-only projector. That's the way a lot of us started. (Including me... My first projector was a 100 mw green-only rig with TTL modulation, but it did have 40K scanners.)
    So....again...i want you to recommend me junk/crap/whatever.
    Sorry, but I will not do this.
    Just tell me the best of all the crap.
    OK, I understand that English is not your first language, so there could be a communications barrier at work here. But you've got to understand a few basic concepts before we continue. Let me try to explain:

The words "best" and "crap" are mutually exclusive.

Put another way, if you had a choice of eating a bowl full of horse shit, cow shit, or dog shit, which one would you choose? Which one of those three bowls of shit would taste "best", in your opinion?

Answer: none of them, because they're all shit. Do you get it now?

This is why your continued questioning is getting people angry. You are asking us to choose between horse shit, cow shit, and dog shit, and none of us want to get our hands dirty trying to compare shit.
    And calling me rude, and a idiot for asking what ive been doing since post 1.
    I never called you an idiot. I called you rude for ignoring the advice of everyone above, and for insisting that we give you advice on which piece of shit you should buy. You still can't understand that below a certain price point, it's all shit, and there is no "best" to be chosen above the others.
    How can i see all the software, shows, animations, by meeting someone, and know if i grow tired of it after a week or month? I need something to start. Everybody always needs something to start with.
    And we told you how to get started. With an affordable single color (or 3 color RGY) projector. We also suggested that you go to a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting so you could see what a nice RGB projector looks like, and what it's capable of. After that, you'll have a pretty good idea if you want to do this or not.

But that wasn't enough for you, because it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear. You kept coming back to the "I want a full-color RGB projector", and we kept telling you it's a pipe dream at the price you're talking about. Yet even though you know nothing about laser projectors, you insist that there must be a way. *THAT* is what is rude... Arguing from a position of ignorance with people who definitely know better.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Borg...

Hi,

I feel a little compelled to jump in here after reading this thread. I understand where you are coming from (as do these members who have been valiently trying to help). Not too many months ago, I was in your shoes. And, in many respects, I still am since although I am reasonably handy and know how to solder, drill and tap, mucking around inside of a projector case is still a little intimidating. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I've been a little less hampered by a budget so, I've wasted perhaps more than I should. I've bought things cheap (Meirlight)...which now sit in a box unused. I've made the Laserworld mistake... it sits in a box unused and inoperable after a total of 15 minutes. I've tried cheap software/DAC solutions and now own not one, not two, but three different packages retailing almost $2,900 and only really use one. I've struggled with mid-level, used, projectors of chinese origion and in the end, I'm now waiting for completion of my custom built quality RGB that's likely going to be in the $8,000 range - and incidentally began life there in the Netherlands with one of our members.

I just, this weekend, purchased my 16th laser. That's in 10 months time...!

All these people are trying to do but one thing... save you from having to make the same mistakes many of us have. We understand the intrigue. We know you will likely enjoy the hobby after your week of playing and, probably find yourself totally unsatisfied with your $450 purchase. Since you seem to insist on trying it the hard way, I will oblige and give you an eBay link to a projector that might fit your bill:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SD-Card-480mW-RG...item2a0bf65615

It's slightly more than the $450 you want to spend (but shipping is included/ and, may just last the week you feel you need to see if this hobby may be for you. Several months ago, I would have been excited by this and might likely have bought it. It's only taken a short time and a bunch of money to discover what "shit" it really is and, learn that it would likely be sitting among the other boxes of unused, unsaleable stuff.

I don't know that I would have liked people telling me no, "Buy a single color and a scan set." when I wanted RGB as well but, it truly is sage advice to consider. But, if you still insist on doing what WE know you will find happen... waste money... then by all means a projector such as the above may fit the bill. You have been both advised and warned.

Best of luck with the hobby.... it's a blast. Oops! That blast came from somewhere deep INSIDE the cheap projector.

Default oh well...

another option would be to spend 500usd to buy a DAC and software only

this way, you can familiarise with the software, run virtual shows on preview and see if this sport is cut out for you. this sort of "training" will proove very usefull and in the event that you don't like it, it is easier to sell the sofware+DAC than a complete projector

thn you can go to a LEM and try your shows out on an actual projector and maybe even buy one after this

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Enough!

He has multiple threads open across multiple forums on the same topic.

He has been treated fairly.
    He has been given some shockingly good advice.
    He has been invited to a LEM.
    If you suggest a "Schlampe" projector to him, and he buys it, he will forever post about how you wasted his money.
    The ball is in his court.

PS, First time ever, in decades of this ^hobby^, have I ever seen the advice of "Buy the software first". That is a new idea and I love it.

Steve

@mixedgas: how the hell do you know that i will whine here talking about wasted money.
    Do you own a time machine? no? then dont say what you dont know about people.

@buffo: no i had the feeling you are thinking me of a idiot. you confirmed this.

To bad most of you guys cant simply recommend me the best of the low budget lasers.
    But anyways thanks for all the advice i have got here. i have learnt that i will probaly not keep my projector for long if i will like it. and probaly wont sell it for much.

SpecOS v23.5 Chucklefuck early warning detection and countermeasure systems activated.