Thread: My lumia box

Default My lumia box

I've been working on a really tiny laser for the past few months. Originally, I was going to make a full scanner with built-in DAC, but budget constraints have forced me to build it as a lumia box for now. The light sources are:

- Two 658nm LOC red diodes w/ Aixiz glass lens, in Dave's brass mounts.
    - One 445nm diode w/ O-Like lens, in Dave's brass mount.
    - One 532nm "200mW" pointer core from eBay, in a custom isolated mount.

I modified the brass mounts for the LOC diodes to be isolated; there's a thread about it that I posted a while back. The optical assembly is built on a piece of 1/4" aluminum and uses 3-axis adjustable mounts that I made from scratch. Here are the mounts:

They're attached from below with a screw through the baseplate. All up and running in the lab:

Next: driver hardware. I built up three modulated constant-current sources on a breadboard, along with a boost converter module from TI. This lets me power the whole thing from basically any DC source in the 10 to 36 volt range. I've set the idle current now to what I want to run the diodes at, so no modulation input is needed, but once I convert this to be a scanner I can use the existing drivers.

Finally, the whole thing goes into a project box, along with a lumia wheel and motor given to me by swamidog. The lumia wheel is very similar to what swamidog used in his big lumia box; mine only has one wheel rather than two. I also added an LM317 to the driver board to regulate the voltage to the driver motor.

The whole thing is 3" by 6" by 8". I don't have a suitable LPM, so I can't really measure the power output after optics; a LaserCheck borrowed from Spec was very confused by the extra IR in the DPSS. I think it's producing something in the range of 500-700 mW from 8.5 watts in, and I'm running the diodes conservatively.

Big thanks to swamidog for giving me a PBS, all the lumia components, and some Lasorbs, sugeek for LaserBugs, and Spec for more LaserBugs and the loaner LaserCheck. I owe you guys one. (swami, your mirror mounts will be in the mail once I get around to making them...)

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Now to pick some galvos...

Hey that's a neat little rig! Nice and portable- you could keep that in the glove compartment for impromptu shindigs! Can you post a video of it in action?
    -Mike

Thumbs up Well done

Nice work! And so compact! Very cool.

It will be easy to add a set of scanners to that rig when you are ready. But for now, enjoy the lumia...

Adam

That is excellent.

Totally digging the pics....please share more!!!