Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible DPSS build?

Hmm...one of the stickers on my LBO crystal says "THG". Is there any fundamental difference between SHG and THG crystals?
    Also, LBO is hygroscopic and needs to be protected from moisture in the air, right?

Yes it will degrade and grey track or simply split if it is left to air....got a couple of those. The LBO is in a mount? Have you calculated the mode volume of the rod vs. the SHG? You will need to verify the coatings as you mentioned THG. This may be THG for a much lower wavelength...300-ish nm. But unless you have the OC for that wavelength it won't lase. Keep us posted...your resonator layout is a V fold of sorts I take it?
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Yeah, my resonator is a V-fold. If I use a THG crystal for SHG will terrible things happen, or will it still lase with lowered efficiency?
    I'm still waiting for mirrors (Laser Ben said he'd PM me some time soon). I also have 2 more 20W bars now MOAR POWER!!!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE SAFETY GOGGLES THAT COVER 808, 1064, and 532 at Optical Density 6.

Crystals For Type I NLG SHG of 1064nm (Nd:YAG)
    Theta 90 Deg 14 Deg Coatings S1, S2: AR1064/532nm

Crystals For Type I CPM SHG of 1064nm (Nd:YAG)
    Theta 90 Deg Phi 0 Deg Coatings S1, S2: AR1064/532nm

Crystals For Type II CPM THG of 1064nm (Nd:YAG)
    Theta 42 Deg. Phi 90 Deg. Coatings S1, S2: AR1064/532/355nm

The above are from the Newlight Photonics Website.

Judging from those crystal angle differences, No. certainly not with any decent conversion.

You can download SNLO, select LBO and plug in the theta/phi numbers, to find out.
    LINK:
    http://www.as-photonics.com/SNLO.html

The third harmonic is a product of the fundamental and second
    harmonics.

Thus THG is a signal mixer, not a signal doubler.

MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE SAFETY GOGGLES THAT COVER 808, 1064, and 532 at Optical Density 6.

We talk you out of a KTP and you decide to build one anyways?

You will need 2 power meters, a IR visualizer, a Qswitch, a 1064 nm polarizer for diagnostics, and a alignment laser, plus 1064 only optics to figure out the thermal lensing to get that going. The crystal will need a oven, and the diode and rod will need cooling. Better add in a milling machine. That is going to be quite a chunk of change.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-02-2010 at 16:39.

I have goggles that are OD8 at 532 and OD7 at 808 and 1064.
    As for 1064-only optics, I think I can borrow them from my (currently non-functional due to lack of chiller) arc-lamp pumped YAG.
    This LBO crystal seems to be a mystery crystal, as the box it is in does not appear to be its original box (I just noticed the crystal is 3x3x20 and the box is for a 3x3x10 crystal ).
    I have TECs for cooling and heating the rod, diode, and crystal.

Speaking from past ventures in building things like this......He is barking up somewhat a very tall tree here with this stuff. It would be much easier to locate a Melles or another large frame laser to try and repair or rebuild....you are setting out to damage a lot of things if you are not ready to spend a lot of time absorbing theory on this. I would hope that you do have eye protection...OD6 at least like Steve said. I have constructed an indirect viewing cabinet with a LCD tv for the monitor...light proof cabinet...no worries at all with this. The laser chamber with a cheap camera works and helps to keep dust out with internal filtration. That way if you fry the CCD just toss it. Can't replace eyes like that. Bottom line...be careful. Tiny dust particles on the diode facet will destroy it...and optics get these nasty looking black spots from burnt dust on them, ruining the coatings...get the picture? Just be as clean with everything as possible...then clean off with your choice of inert gas. Look at a diode facet with a 10X scope or better...then you will see...photon emissions attract dust...from everywhere. But you have parts...I understand the quest.....BTDT..still have the laser in parts again somewhere in a box...Yag rod...mirrors and 2- 40 watters...it destroyed a new 5 x 5 x 8mm KTP .....even at threshold it was a tad much.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Blarg, I cannot find this crystal's original use (SHG or THG). Is there some easy way too figure out, or should I return this crystal and get another one that is marked?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by bwang View Post
    Blarg, I cannot find this crystal's original use (SHG or THG). Is there some easy way too figure out, or should I return this crystal and get another one that is marked?

They are oriented for cutting using X-rays.

The only easy way involves a working laser designed for the crystal.

The not so easy way needs a variable power, 1064 nm, Qswitched laser and perhaps a crystal oven.

Steve

More thought has caused me to realize that my design needs to be built around the mirrors I have available.
    My new design is a linear cavity: HR1064-YAG-HR532-LBO-HR1064. The HR's are not AR532, but they transmit green well.
    My question is, will it work if the HR532 is not AR coated for 1064 nm?