Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Boost Driver in Dev

Default New Boost Driver in Dev

Hey guys,

I have been in exchange with a friend of mine from the USA gathering and developing my own driver that should far exceed the drivers on the market today.

We are aiming for a 0-2000mA+ current range, this could go up or down depending on pricing for parts and other factors, but this is what we are aiming.

I also want to reformat the layout for many parts of the driver, including the pads for easy soldering straight to the pins as well as an option for wire mounts.

I am also aiming for a size no bigger then 9x12mm which is the current size of a flexdrive. I have also taken into account that this driver will be used by experts and beginners alike, so layout and soldering areas will be made for easy use and quick solder and desoldering, which is hard with the current drivers, because of their small surface area of its soldering pads.

Lastly the price! The current flexdrive is on sale for $24 each plus $3 shipping. THAT'S ALMOST $30! I am aiming for around $15 - $20 shipped.

What other features would you like to see on the new driver? and how much interest would this bring from the PL community?

-Adrian

Even though I appreciate the small form factor, it's not really necessary in the projectors we generally build. I think reliability is one thing we need to aim for -- so a larger driver which has room for BIG transistors (TO-220 bolted to a heatsink) might be more useful.

These tiny drivers are really good for portable applications powered from a battery, but in our projectors we generally use analog modulated diodes powered from a (12V or more) grid.

Closed loop power control using a pickoff diode would be something I am missing in laser drivers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Closed loop power control using a pickoff diode would be something I am missing in laser drivers right now.
    I'll second that... specially if it is made linear (or at least adjustable for any wavelength !

Cheers

Bump... anything else to add? I have just made payment for these to be designed... any further info/suggestions would be good!

Are these Analog or digital?

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I get the impression this is a pointer driver like the FlexDrive, not a modulatable driver like the FlexMod.

I think you are correct.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

That is correct, they are DC-DC buck boost converters. Exactly like the Flexdrive, but with better board layout, components and higher output!

Not to sound TOO cynical -

Can you give us a little background on who and where you are, and what your background is with lasers & electronics?

Thanks...

RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hey, yeah sorry... I'm bobhaha from LPF, been producing lasers inside Australia for the past 2 years or so... been around for a lot.

I have made payment to the engineer... awaiting ETA and lab time now.