Thread: Laser for a mobile DJ

Default Laser for a mobile DJ

Hi all.

Here's a short bit of background. I'm a mobile DJ in Australia (no laws on restrictions of laser if they are not handheld).

I'm after a decent, yet cheap laser to use for shows. I'm not planning on doing crowd scanning etc. I'd be perfectly happy with just a simple green or red laser . Already have fog/smoke machine setup.

Basically, I want to know what power level for a green laser that i should be looking for to have visible beams in fog, and with a few other effects lights (Mostly the brightest thing i have are some LED par lights).

I'm trying to avoid lasers from china/ebay etc but in Australia it is very hard to find a reputable brand of laser. After any suggestions or recommendations. I'm prepared to import a reputable brand with decent safety features if needed.

My Budget is $300 - 400 AUD max which is roughly $285 - $380 in USD.

I've been looking at the following lasers:

http://www.lightsounds.com.au/light_..._7123_prd1.htm
    Specs:
    * Laser Power: 60mW Green Fatbeam
    * Scan system: High speed stepper motor
    * Control: Built in programs, stand alone, master/slave or DMX-512
    * Display: LED digital display

http://www.lightsounds.com.au/light_..._6661_prd1.htm
    Specs:
    * Output power / level: Red: 100mW Green: 30mW
    * Colours: Red and Green
    * DMX: 9 Channels
    * Connection: DMX in: Male 3 pin XLR DMX out: Female 3 pin XLR Power in: Male IEC
    * Class: Class3B

Would I be better off going with a fatbeam or non-fatbeam laser?

What is the real world difference? as I understand, a fat beam laser is safer to the eye, and will only show a single beam.

Does anyone have a better suggestion of a laser I should be looking at?

Cheers,

Hi Rohan,

Welcome I'm also in Melbourne.

Your budget is very low and is likely to dictate which model you buy i.e. you're not going to have much choice.

Are you after a laser projector that can be controlled from a laptop or just one you can set and forget, making basic beam shapes to the music? Need to know a bit more about what you'd like to achieve with a laser projector, colour control, beam/image control and ability to project different shapes.

Hey,
    I'm not after a laser which can be controlled by a laptop etc. Just a simple laser which is sound activated. I'm also not looking for really any control over the shapes.

As far as I'm aware, the sort of projector you're after are likely to be the cheap and cheerful Chinese lasers. Even the ones you've linked to will have been made there. Unless you can find an alternative online, those you've found seem to match your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    Hi all.

Here's a short bit of background. I'm a mobile DJ in Australia (no laws on restrictions of laser if they are not handheld).

I'm after a decent, yet cheap laser to use for shows. I'm not planning on doing crowd scanning etc. I'd be perfectly happy with just a simple green or red laser . Already have fog/smoke machine setup.

Basically, I want to know what power level for a green laser that i should be looking for to have visible beams in fog, and with a few other effects lights (Mostly the brightest thing i have are some LED par lights).

I'm trying to avoid lasers from china/ebay etc but in Australia it is very hard to find a reputable brand of laser. After any suggestions or recommendations. I'm prepared to import a reputable brand with decent safety features if needed.

My Budget is $300 - 400 AUD max which is roughly $285 - $380 in USD.

I've been looking at the following lasers:

http://www.lightsounds.com.au/light_..._7123_prd1.htm
    Specs:
    * Laser Power: 60mW Green Fatbeam
    * Scan system: High speed stepper motor
    * Control: Built in programs, stand alone, master/slave or DMX-512
    * Display: LED digital display

http://www.lightsounds.com.au/light_..._6661_prd1.htm
    Specs:
    * Output power / level: Red: 100mW Green: 30mW
    * Colours: Red and Green
    * DMX: 9 Channels
    * Connection: DMX in: Male 3 pin XLR DMX out: Female 3 pin XLR Power in: Male IEC
    * Class: Class3B

Would I be better off going with a fatbeam or non-fatbeam laser?

What is the real world difference? as I understand, a fat beam laser is safer to the eye, and will only show a single beam.

Does anyone have a better suggestion of a laser I should be looking at?

Cheers,
    Hi Rohan,
    I run a DJ company here in Melbourne and we have a DUNE Disco, 180mW red and green.

I checked out the fat beams and they are really good, but you'd want to get 2 or three and link them up (they sync up) to get the same effect as the light i purchased.

I recommend getting a higher strength laser if youre using a lot of smoke or haze, there is a video here that you can see the effect on our 180mW duel laser
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GriffinA.../0/3PyCboY8dj8

I would recommend getting a higher single laser than getting one of the less intense duel or triple lasers. The blue Fatbeams are crazy expensive though!