Thread: Welding plastic / Safty?

Default Welding plastic / Safty?

I was trying to melt some plastic parts together the other day, dident work that greate... But Im doing more tests later.

Question:
    If I got hold of a plastic that "absorb" most of the blue light, is it safe to use for eye protection then? Or is there something else that I have to think about?

Made a video with both tests in it:

A blue laser is a poor choice for welding acrylic, deep IR would be a better choice.

By adding the black marker you have introduced contamination to any weld, blue light also discolours acrylic and makes it brittle.

As far as eye protection goes; you only have one pair of eyes to last your lifetime - buy the correct certified eye protection!
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You will have your best luck with thermoplastics. Acrylic is a thermoplastic, but acts more like a thermoset, and does not "weld" easily without a filler rod. It has a high glass transition temperature, causing it to stay somewhat crystaline. This is why for the most part, acrylics are cast from a two part mix, and not often injection molded.

Steve

The RepRap guys use PLA or ABS which seems to work a lot better.

Those guys have a bit of a challenge inducing 'localized heating' in their extruder assemblies for the plastic to extrude properly. I see an opportunity here.